1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Learning kanas quickly

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by Youngfun, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Youngfun

Youngfun Senior Member

Pekino, Ĉinujo
    Chinese/Italian - bilingual
    Hi all!

I don't know if this topic is allowed on this forum.
    As a complete beginner, I haven't memorized the kanas yet. And recently I'm having bad memory and bad concentration...
    I was thinking of writing the kanas many times, as I did to memorize the Chinese kanjis when I was a child.

As I already know Chinese kanjis, do you think it would be useful for me to learn the original Man'yōgana from there the kanas originated?

Do you ahve any advice?
    Thank you very much.

2. 涼宮

涼宮 Senior Member

Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)
    What I did years ago to learn the kanas was to read full Japanese texts with furigana as quickly as possible til I memorized them. I have a gameboy advance game called Yu-Gi-Oh and the booklet came in Japanese. You can try thru reading. Use this website: http://www.romaji.org/

You can turn entire texts in kana. Select Japanese to Hirgana > click to set, then paste your text and convert! As for katakana you can try writing the whole hiragana thing in katakana.

3. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    Handwriting, handwriting, handwriting until the skin of your middle finger gets harder!

Regarding Manyo gana, I don't personally recommend you to learn. But if you like it, not bad. If you don't like it, you can stop freely. And I won't ask you to check that you have completely mastered Manyo gana!

4. Youngfun

Youngfun Senior Member

Pekino, Ĉinujo
    Chinese/Italian - bilingual
    Thank you both for the answers.
    Actually I know Manyo gana is not in use anymore, but I would use it only as a mnemonic help. For example, I found out that for me is easier to remember that for example: the hiragana for "a" あ is derived from an ancient 安, "ka" か from 加, (some of which have a similar pronounciation in Chinese) etc. instead of remembering random traits.
    But maybe my mind is strange. ;)
    Or simply because most people first learn kana and then kanji, only we Chinese know kanji first, and then have to learn kanas. ;)

5. frequency

frequency Senior Member

Tokyo, Japan
    Japanese
    Really. Then it may help you to memorise the sound of hiragana. In addition, take a look-安 looks like あ、加 also does か. I bet you have already mastered these two!

I must confess I made you confused on how to spell Man'yōgana. Your Man'yōgana is very formal and correct, focusing on its pronunciation. Mine Manyo gana is a 'simplified' version that I made. Since we have already known about Man'yōgana, I selected it.
    We have the system/format of romaji, but we (I) don't care about it much. Sorry. You could encounter the case similar to what I did.