1. Rubia Loca Junior Member

Spanish-Spain
    Good morning,

Could somebody explain the difference between "rent" and "lease"?
    I´ve looked it up in the dictionary, but I still do not really get what the exact difference is.

Thank you very much and have a nice day!

2. Castaña Senior Member

English
    Rent is usually a short term fenomena, tou rent for a week or to, whereas a lease usually last a year or three.
    I hope this was helpful.

3. Rubia Loca Junior Member

Spanish-Spain
    Thank you!

4. bizco Junior Member

Australia
    english
    In australia we use the term to rent more for renting a house but you tend to lease a piece of equipment under finance. For example a car or computer you would lease if you did not buy it but had a contract to pay a weekly/monthly sum to pay for it.

5. Castaña Senior Member

English
    I agree. The question of time applies specially to cars etc. where you can both rent and lease:)

6. bizco Junior Member

Australia
    english
    Castana you are correct. It does apply more to to a time period. You can rent a car for a day or a week and thats why its called car rental but you would be wrong to use the term car lease if it was for a day or a week.
    With a car lease for instance it is over a several year period.

7. Rubia Loca Junior Member

Spanish-Spain
    Thanks to you both!

8. MarcB Senior Member

US English
    In the case of property (in AE) we rent(verb) a house but we sign a lease (noun) for the house rental(adj.)

9. Pecosa Senior Member

Castellano Argentina
    cuales serían los equivalentes en castellano??

Se me ocurren "alquilar y arrendar", que son sinónimos...

10. Castaña Senior Member

English
    Hola,
    Hi MarcB. Yes it seems as if exactly the same applies in Spanish
    Y Pecosa! Parece como hay la misma diferecía entre "rent" y "lease" encuanto a inmobiliarios (desde el Wordreference diccionario):

lease [lɪ:s]

II verbo transitivo arrendar: Mary is leasing her house to Ruth now, Mary ahora está alquilando la casa a Ruth