lecturer / instructor

Discussion in 'English Only' started by legarcon, Oct 18, 2008.

1. legarcon

legarcon Senior Member

china
    漢語
    what is the difference???

2. katie_here Senior Member

England
    England/English
    In my understanding it's whether what is being taught is spoken or physical.

A lecturer would tell you about the subject, give you information and answer questions, like a biology lecturer who will tell medical students all about the human body.

An instructor will physically show you how do to something, like a driving instructor, who will instruct you as you physically drive a car, or a Ski Instructor, who will take you on the slopes and show you how to ski, while you do the same.

3. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    There is also an American/British difference. At the university level, the person called a "lecturer" in the UK is called an "instructor" in the US.

4. Saratoga Senior Member

Saratoga Springs, NY
    usa english
    In a university setting, these are job titles. Different universities and different countries seem to have different rules for using them. For example, in one university may call these teachers " lecturers" and another may call them " instructors", but there is not much difference in what they do.

In general, though, teachers with this title are lower in rank that those called "professors", at least in the US context.

5. gasman Senior Member

Canada, English
    When I went to university, in Scotland, we had a lecturer, a senior lecturer, and a professor as the gradient of the teaching staff. They all instructed us. Interestingly the lecturer rarely lectured, but was more involved in the practical side of instruction, rather than the lecturing aspect.

6. Aardvark01

Aardvark01 Senior Member

Midlands, England
    British English (Midlands)
    In England I've never heard of a PE (Physical Education) lecturer, only instructors. To lecture is to instruct, that is, to give knowledge, but not all knowledge involves physical action. I might learn driving theory from a lecturer, but I'd drive on the road with an instructor.

7. gasman Senior Member

Canada, English