lecturer (workshop)

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Leni =), Nov 6, 2010.

1. Leni =) Junior Member

Germany
    Italian
    How do you call a person who speak in a workshop? "Lecturer" would do?
    THX!

2. MilkyBarKid Senior Member

British English
    Try 'speaker' or 'presenter'

3. Leni =) Junior Member

Germany
    Italian
    My colleague says speaker can be used only when you are a part of a panel of speakers (e.g. at a conference). What I mean is a small teacher training event, where I was the only speaker: first holding a lecture about language teaching to young children, then presenting a new book and best practice examples. Would you still say speaker or rather use a different word?

4. Wertis

Wertis Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    Oral presenter, (oral) speaker

5. Lambency Junior Member

Ontario, Canada
    English- Canadian
    'Speaker' and 'presenter' are more general terms, whereas 'lecturer' specifically refers to someone who gives lectures at academic institutions (i.e. universities). It is a professional title.

'Speaker' can be used your situation (it does not exclusively refer to someone on a panel of speakers) and 'presenter' works as well.

6. Leni =) Junior Member

Germany
    Italian
    Thanks a lot!

7. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    Another option, which I've heard used (and have been): workshop leader.

8. Wertis

Wertis Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    I think "leader" is a person who actually holds the workshop and makes all the arrangements before it starts and while it's taking place. Also the leader can be a person whose presentation is best or most expected due to the great interest the subject arouses. For instance, a famous professor or an outstanding scientist (scholar) could be declared leader or just considered so by most participants. So we should remeber that the word "leader" has several different meanings depending on what we want to say.

9. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    I'm just telling you how it has been in my own experience, Wertis. As a workshop leader, I have been the person who has been the leader of the discussion. At times this has meant I have been the only speaker; at other times, I have led or moderated the discussion among several speakers.