1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

legislations? plural of legislation

Discussion in 'English Only' started by apoziopeza, May 15, 2012.

1. apoziopeza Senior Member

slovak
    Hi,

Please help, can I say legislations?

thanks,

A.

… rights stipulated by both European and respective national legislations – can we use plural here?
    Iwould like to say European legislation a respective national legislation [=two different legislations]

-------------------
    … rights stipulated by both European legislation and respective national legislation - could this be a solution?

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  2. DocPenfro

DocPenfro Senior Member

Little England
    English - British
    "This is based on those countries' national legislations" (source: British National Corpus)

At least you can claim there are precedents for this usage, although personally I would try to avoid it, as you have done with "by both European legislation and respective national legislation"

3. apoziopeza Senior Member

slovak
    thank you very much for the precedent :)

4. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    Perhaps it depends on what "legislation" means. I take it to be the law-making process, which is an abstraction and unlikely to have a plural.

Some people (influenced by French ????) use it to mean either the law or the legislative body (e.g. Parliament) in which case it can obviously have a plural. The example you give above seems to be of that type. Personally, to avoid vagueness and ambiguity, I would avoid this usage in any case; if you mean laws, say laws. If you mean legislatures, say legislatures.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  5. apoziopeza Senior Member

slovak
    and which article should be used correct here?

rights stipulated by both European legislation and a respective national legislation
    rights stipulated by both European legislation and the respective national legislation
    rights stipulated by both European legislation and [zero article] respective national legislation

6. DocPenfro

DocPenfro Senior Member

Little England
    English - British
    Any one of these would work, but my personal order of preference would be: the; zero; a. Naturally I would defer to the formidable intellect of KB in this matter.

7. Keith Bradford

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    None of them, for the reason I stated in #4. Wrong vocabulary.

I think what you mean is "rights stipulated by both European law and the respective national law". But I'm guessing.

8. apoziopeza Senior Member

slovak
    and when you want to say [...?] respective national law of any/each country within EU? [not a specific country]

9. Keith Bradford

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    If it's not a specific country, use any - that's its basic meaning.

Each means all of them, considered one at a time.

10. apoziopeza Senior Member

slovak
    can I summarize this as follows - here we do not use "a" or "zero article" only "any" and "the" -

rights stipulated by both European legislation and any respective national legislation [any country, not particular country, one of the countries concerned]
    rights stipulated by both European legislation and the respective national legislation [one specific country]

11. Keith Bradford

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    That's right. But re-read #4 and #7.

12. apoziopeza Senior Member

slovak
    thank you very much

13. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    rights stipulated by both European legislation and the respective national legislation [one specific country] = rights stipulated by both national and European legislation

NB National legislation does not stretch beyond the borders of a nation and so "national legislation" covers your intended, "the respective national legislation [one specific country]"

14. bluetoba New Member

Indonesian
    What about this, which one is right and why?

There is legislation on .....
    OR
    There is a legislation on .....

15. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

In American English, legislation is always uncountable so only your first option would be correct.