legislations? plural of legislation

Discussion in 'English Only' started by apoziopeza, May 15, 2012.

1. apoziopeza Senior Member

slovak
    Hi,

Please help, can I say legislations?

thanks,

A.

… rights stipulated by both European and respective national legislations – can we use plural here?
    Iwould like to say European legislation a respective national legislation [=two different legislations]

-------------------
    … rights stipulated by both European legislation and respective national legislation - could this be a solution?

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  2. DocPenfro

DocPenfro Senior Member

Little England
    English - British
    "This is based on those countries' national legislations" (source: British National Corpus)

At least you can claim there are precedents for this usage, although personally I would try to avoid it, as you have done with "by both European legislation and respective national legislation"

3. apoziopeza Senior Member

slovak
    thank you very much for the precedent :)

4. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    Perhaps it depends on what "legislation" means. I take it to be the law-making process, which is an abstraction and unlikely to have a plural.

Some people (influenced by French ????) use it to mean either the law or the legislative body (e.g. Parliament) in which case it can obviously have a plural. The example you give above seems to be of that type. Personally, to avoid vagueness and ambiguity, I would avoid this usage in any case; if you mean laws, say laws. If you mean legislatures, say legislatures.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  5. apoziopeza Senior Member

slovak
    and which article should be used correct here?

rights stipulated by both European legislation and a respective national legislation
    rights stipulated by both European legislation and the respective national legislation
    rights stipulated by both European legislation and [zero article] respective national legislation

6. DocPenfro

DocPenfro Senior Member

Little England
    English - British
    Any one of these would work, but my personal order of preference would be: the; zero; a. Naturally I would defer to the formidable intellect of KB in this matter.

7. Keith Bradford

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    None of them, for the reason I stated in #4. Wrong vocabulary.

I think what you mean is "rights stipulated by both European law and the respective national law". But I'm guessing.

8. apoziopeza Senior Member

slovak
    and when you want to say [...?] respective national law of any/each country within EU? [not a specific country]

9. Keith Bradford

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    If it's not a specific country, use any - that's its basic meaning.

Each means all of them, considered one at a time.

10. apoziopeza Senior Member

slovak
    can I summarize this as follows - here we do not use "a" or "zero article" only "any" and "the" -

rights stipulated by both European legislation and any respective national legislation [any country, not particular country, one of the countries concerned]
    rights stipulated by both European legislation and the respective national legislation [one specific country]

11. Keith Bradford

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    That's right. But re-read #4 and #7.

12. apoziopeza Senior Member

slovak
    thank you very much

13. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    rights stipulated by both European legislation and the respective national legislation [one specific country] = rights stipulated by both national and European legislation

NB National legislation does not stretch beyond the borders of a nation and so "national legislation" covers your intended, "the respective national legislation [one specific country]"

14. bluetoba New Member

Indonesian
    What about this, which one is right and why?

There is legislation on .....
    OR
    There is a legislation on .....

15. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

In American English, legislation is always uncountable so only your first option would be correct.