1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Leila Nassif

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Jeraru, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Jeraru Junior Member

España, español y catalán
    Hello. I have found two ways to write Leila Nassif in Arabic alphabet: ليلى نصيف and ليلى ناصيف . Could someone be so kind to tell me what is the correct way to write it in Modern Standard Arabic and what is the difference between the two versions?

Thank you very much

2. barkoosh Senior Member

Beirut
    Arabic
    If you're talking about Leila Nassif, head of the UNHCR office in Aden, then it's probably ليلى نصيف. A good way to tell is to check the UNHCR site. I found ليلى نصيف there.

However, if it's someone Lebanese, then it should be ناصيف, a well-known family name in Lebanon.

3. Jeraru Junior Member

Actually is the name of a fictitious Egyptian character. A part of that could you tell me if in the Arab-speaking world these name pronounciation differences are allways reflected in the media or in an official level? Is not prevalent the Modern Standard Arabic writing or pronounciation?

4. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    It's always pronounced the same way. And I don't think this name is originally Arabic anyway.

5. ahmedcowon Senior Member

In Egypt, we have the name ناصف

6. Schem

Schem Senior Member

Unaizah
    Najdi Arabic
    It is originally Arabic, it means 'just' and comes from إنصاف. It's common in Hejaz still, for example.

7. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    I agree with the posts of Ahmed and Schem. In Egypt, the name is ناصف , and it means "just" (or giving justice). And there was a famous woman writer ملك حفني ناصف , and her father حفني ناصف was also a man of litterature.

As for the pronunciation, the "a" is long and, in Egypt, the "i" is pronounced as "e" (naaSef). I don't know how the Levantines pronouce it or pronounce ناصيف.

P.S. By the way, ليلى is pronounce in Egypt as layla.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  8. Jeraru Junior Member

I appreciate all the answers but could someone tell me if would be very strange for an Egyptian person to bear a personal name written and pronouced in Modern Standard Arabic (اللغة العربية الفصحى‎)?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  9. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Names are written in Standard Arabic. The pronunciation may differ from a name to another, but it would not be "very strange" to hear a person's name pronounced in MSA. For example, يوسف is pronounced Yuusef in EA, but it's Yuusuf in MSA. Not a big difference, and if an Egyptian hears Yusuf he may find it strange (as in: not the common way) but not weird.