1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

lent or loaned

Discussion in 'English Only' started by blueberrymuffin, Feb 27, 2006.

1. blueberrymuffin Senior Member

English - U.S.
    Hi!
    I have heard people use loaned as the past tense of to lend.

Kathy loaned me that movie last week.
    Is it correct in an informal, colloquial setting? Is it correct grammatically speaking?

Thanks

2. nmuscatine Senior Member

California
    English, USA
    I think that both lent and loaned are correct. Both sound natural to me.

3. la reine victoria Senior Member

Both are correct but 'lent' is more commonly used in the UK.

LRV

4. blueberrymuffin Senior Member

English - U.S.
    Oh good. Thanks. But, does "loaned" sound a little too colloquial or can it be used in a formal setting?

Thanks again!

5. nmuscatine Senior Member

California
    English, USA
    In the U.S. "loaned" is not colloquial... we use it in all settings. I don't know about in the U.K.

6. blueberrymuffin Senior Member

English - U.S.
    Great! Thanks.

7. river Senior Member

U.S. English
    The past tense of "lend" is "lent," and the past tense of "loan" is "loaned." The verb loan is standard only when money is the subject of the transaction.

8. CAMullen Senior Member

Amesbury
    US, English
    I've read that although the rule isn't often observed anymore, "loan" is a noun and "lend" is the verb. So it is becoming acceptable, but is still just a wee bit colloquial.

9. Jumble Junior Member

USA
    Hi!​
    bartleby.com says...

a gread deal about loan and lent, but WR Rule #16 does not permit copying or large quantities of text from other sources.
    Panjandrum
    (Moderator)

[SIZE=+2]
    [/SIZE]

10. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

Warwick
    UK English
    A loan for me would be something for which money is expected back. If someone lends you a thing, all they expect is that they get the thing back. You might lend your neighbour tools when they are doing DIY. A bank might give you a loan for a new car: they will expect both regular repayments and will charge interest. All you expect from your neighbour is smiles or an invite for a drink or a meal.

11. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    According to Fowler's New Modern English Usage, we all used loan as a verb until the last century.
    Over the past 100 years or so, it has gradually faded out in BE, but has survived in AE.
    I can't find any support for the suggestion that loan (verb) is limited to money.

12. nmuscatine Senior Member

California
    English, USA
    As for the suggestion that loan as a verb is limited to money, I would dispute it. For example, the library loans us books. Museums loan their collections to other museums or galleries. In either case, we would say that the items are "on loan."

13. river Senior Member

U.S. English
    A few more opinions:

As for loan, the Wall Street Journal stylebook advises: “Avoid as a verb. Use lend, lent.”

The New York Times Manual of Style and Usage - loan: do not use 'loan' as a verb. Use 'lend' and, in the past tense, lent rather than loaned.

Most writers seem to prefer 'lend', although some accpet 'loan' in financial contexts.If your ear is not offended by "Loan me your pen" or by "Friends, Romans, countrymen, loan me your ears," the authorities are right so far as you are concerned. The rest of us will continue to prefer 'lend' though we recognize that 'loan' has a basis in both history and usage. The Careful Writer, Theodore Bernstein

14. wordsmith467 New Member

English
    Lent is not a past tense of lend, as in, "I will lend you a hand."

Loaned is the proper usage in all past tense verbage.

15. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    The Oxford English Dictionary, (and using the search box at the top of the page you will find that also) Merriam-Webster, Random House and American Heritage Dictionaries all provide lent as the past participle of lend.

16. wordsmith467 New Member

English
    I stand corrected. I learned in college, in Tokyo, (maybe that explains it), that lent is not the proper usage, but loaned is, instead. It's always perturbed me, but thanks for that. I'll continue to use loaned, though; personal choice.

17. SwissPete

SwissPete Senior Member

94044 USA
    Français (CH), AE (California)
    To lend and to loan are two different verbs. They may at times be interchangeable.

18. wordsmith467 New Member

English
    OK. This is something that has always bugged me. Lent just sounds wrong, sorry. I'm sticking with loaned. Am I still in the club?

19. JulianStuart

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    Can't you bend your ways just a little - I suspect you've bent them before when learning something new :D

20. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    Although this is an old thread, as long as it has been resurrected we might as well deal with it.

Loaned is not a past tense of lend, and it is absurd to suggest that it is. The past tense of lend is lent.

On the other hand, loaned is the past tense of loan, regardless of whether or not one accepts "to loan" as a legitimate verb.

21. jeleny New Member

hindi
    This was a greatly helpful definition. I applaud you for your intelligence my dear chum (amigo).

<< --- >>

Yours most sincerely with my dearest wishes for a satisfactory life

jeleny

Professor of English
    Oxbridge University

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  22. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

Warwick
    UK English
    Thank you for loaning us a hand :)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  23. englishjasmin

englishjasmin Senior Member

Slavic
    I did some online research and it says that in British English "loan" is a noun and "lend" is a verb. In American English both can be used as a verb, but several American style-books prefer the British rule. The verb "loan" would usually relate to money, art-work, or other physical objects (e.g. loan a book, money, or artwork). However, you can not use a loan as a verb if no physical object or money are involved (e.g. lend me a few minutes of your time).

24. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    That's strange - to my mind, "loan" can certainly still be used as a verb in BrE. The more usual verb in BrE is, however, "lend". Libraries "lend" books"; but they could also "loan" books.

I suppose that "loan" does imply something physical. Friends, Romans, countrymen - loan me your ears???

25. JulianStuart

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    Indeed! I used to depend on the "Inter-library loans" system for obscure books when I was doing my graduate work in the UK!

26. englishjasmin

englishjasmin Senior Member

Slavic
    An "inter-library loan" is a noun, not a verb.