1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Les dejé el móvil en la tienda

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Mayoide, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Mayoide Senior Member

Español
    Hola.
    Estoy hablando de un teléfono móvil que no me funciona y lo llevo a la tienda para que me den una solución.
    Quiero decir en inglés: El dependiente me dijo que les dejara el móvil para que vieran si lo podían arreglar.
    Mi intento: The shop assistant told me to leave them the mobile phone so that they looked if they could mend it.

¿Suena bien así o demasiado literal?

2. jletual New Member

Montréal, Québec, Canada
    Canadian English
    The shop assistant told me to leave them the mobile phone so they could see if they could mend it.

3. horsewishr

horsewishr Senior Member

Michigan (USA)
    English (Generic Midwest Variety)
    The shop assistant told me to leave my phone with them so they could see if they could fix it.

Where I live, "mend" wouldn't be used to refer to a phone. We mend clothing and "soft" things, but not mechanical or electronic devices. You can mend a broken heart. But not a telephone.

4. blasita

blasita Senior Member

Spanish - Spain (Madrid)
    ... to leave my mobile (phone) there for them to see if they could fix it/... to leave my mobile with them so they could ...

¿Qué te parecen, Jletual? ¿Suenan bien?

Un saludo.

Edito: mandado exactamente al mismo tiempo que Horsewishr.

5. jletual New Member

Montréal, Québec, Canada
    Canadian English
    The verb to fix would be more appropriate for American English, mend would be fine for British English.
    The example used mend, which is why I used that.