les dents pourries

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by lametoro, Jun 26, 2013.

1. lametoro New Member

Japanese
    Bonjour,

I often see an expression of insult for politicians "les dents pourries".
    For example : "Melenchon a les dents pourries par la haine et la pâte à dents n'y pourra rien changer !"
    What does it mean? His set of teeth is neither so beautiful but nor really bad…
    Is there a suggestion like this : have bad breath→ say something bad→make an improper remark → unfit for a politician…?

Merci d'avance!

2. Micia93

Micia93 Senior Member

in the center of France
    FRANCE FRENCH
    No, "pourries" here has to be taken in a figurative way, meaning all his speeches are full with hate
    "la langue pourrie" would have better fit, though, but the idea of "dents pourries" is so disgusting and insulting!

3. lametoro New Member

Japanese
    Thanks Micia93, I had no idea of dents=langue in this case.
    Merci beaucoup!

4. bh7 Senior Member

Limestone City
    Canada; English
    Melenchon, driven by hate, lays viciously into his opponents, but his rotten / foul mouth can / will hardly be improved by a bit of mouthwash.

5. thbruxelles Senior Member

French - France
    In this particular case, I don't think this is figurative at all. Mélenchon has very bad teeth and I think the opponents are really attacking his looks. Saying that his teeth are rotten for being so hateful. This is very aggressive.

6. lametoro New Member

Japanese
    Thank you all !
    I have another example :
    "La vie est belle. Les dents pourries".
    I think it's a variation of "La vie est belle. Le monde pourri".(Life is beautiful. (but) This world is corrupted.).
    In this case, does "Les dents pourries" means "(This world is) full of malicious words / or / full of malice" ?
    Would you please suggest a better translation ?

7. Micia93

Micia93 Senior Member

in the center of France
    FRANCE FRENCH
    ha! I have never noticed that!(but mostly his red scarf!) so you are right here!