Let go

Discussion in 'Tagalog and Filipino Languages' started by Rebsi, May 17, 2014.

1. Rebsi New Member

German - Switzerland
    Hi there,

I`m looking for the correct word(s) for "let go"; "let it go" in Tagalog. The meaning should be "release". For example: Someone can`t let go of a memory, an experience (bad or good, doesn't matter). So to this person you can say "let go", "let it be", "leave it behind you".
    I hope you know what I mean. Does anyone know what the correct words in tagalog are?

Thanks anyway.
  2. DotterKat Moderator

California, USA
    English (American)
    Here are some choices, roughly in increasing levels of language formality:

1)Kalimutan mo na 'yan (Forget about it.) OR Kalimutan mo na siya (Forget about him/her.)
    2)Huwag mo na 'yang isispin (Don't think about it anymore/Stop thinking about it.) OR Huwag mo na siyang isipin. (Don't think about him/her anymore.)
    3)Pabayaan mo na ang nakaraan. (Let go of the past.)
  3. Rebsi New Member

German - Switzerland
    Thank you for the answer. A friend of mine told me that "pakawalan" also means "let (it) go". Is that right? is it even correct to just say "pakawalan" or are there any words missing?
  4. DotterKat Moderator

California, USA
    English (American)
    Pakawalan would have a connotation of releasing or letting go of something or someone in the context of your original question. It would be incomplete by itself, so you have to say something like:

Pakawalan mo na ang nakaraan. (Let go of the past.) Note that this also sounds a bit formal and one could imagine it being the title of a movie or a song. However, it is correct and appropriate for the thought you wish to convey.
  5. Jeffjohn New Member

hayaan mo lang
  6. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

Hi! My Tagalog translations are 1.) Bigyang laya (bulakan tagalog) 2.) Alpaseh or bitaweh (katimugang tagalog) 3.) Laya ka(my version)alpas ka, bitaw ka
  7. Rebsi New Member

German - Switzerland
    Hello again,

I'm looking for the translation of these words and am not sure if I have the correct answers:

Release, let go (only verb) = Kalimutan, bitawan?

Thank you very much for your help!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2014
  8. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

Rebsi. ... 6) release- pawalan o bitawan / Let go- bigyang laya
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2014
  9. latchiloya Junior Member

Hi Rebsi,

As to how the thread is ending up, I kind of understand what you actually mean. Everything has been explained by the people above. If you are asking for the translation of the English word "release", it is equivalent to the ff:

bitiw and/or bitaw;palaya; pakawala; kalag

Note: the application of each word differs and relies on the context even if say the word has exact translation but still they differ from the application. It woud be better if you give us the sentences you would like us to translate.