Let me check my email/inbox/emailbox/email box

Discussion in 'English Only' started by stephenlearner, Apr 27, 2012.

1. stephenlearner Senior Member

Chinese
    Hi,

First, is email box or emailbox not a correct expression? Is only email inbox correct?
    Second, can I say "Let me check my email inbox" and "Let me check my email"? Are they both good and natural?

Thank you.

2. morzh

morzh Senior Member

USA
    Russian
    The second one sounds fine, the first does not.

3. Hau Ruck

Hau Ruck Senior Member

United States - Midwest
    English - U.S.
    "Let me check my email" would be the best choice and most natural.
    You could also say "Let me check my inbox." This has a connotation of perhaps an email that is new and waiting for you to check.
    You'd generally hear "inbox" when someone is saying exactly where it is in your email. Such as, "Oh I didn't see it in my inbox; it must've gone to my spam folder."

In regards to email box and emailbox; I'd not use either of them. They are not terms we'd use.

4. stephenlearner Senior Member

Chinese
    Thank both of you very much.

5. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    Any of these is clearly a reply to a question. What to say might well depend on what question you are asked.

If someone asked, "Have you heard anything from Stephen today?", I'd likely reply, "Let me check my e-mail." [There are differences of opinion about "email" versus "e-mail"; I prefer the latter.]

If the question was, "Did you receive my e-mail?", I'd answer, "Let me check my inbox."

6. stephenlearner Senior Member

Chinese
    Great. Very clear. Thank you very much.