Let me know when you finish

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Maanu, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Maanu Senior Member

Kerala,India
    India - Malayalam
    I usually use the statement 'Please let me know when you have finished/done the task' to inform me the completion of a task.

Is this a correct statement?
    Is there any other way to express the same idea?

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    That's a fine statement. You can also use present tense for the task: "Please let me know when you're finished" or "Please let me know when you finish the job (task)." I like "finish" a little better than "done," but "done" is also correct.

3. bluegiraffe

bluegiraffe Senior Member

Nottingham, England
    English - England
    I agree with Copyright, other than I think "let me know when you're/you've done" is more common over here.

4. Saritalove Senior Member

English - UK
    'Please let me know when you're done' is slightly less formal than 'Please let me know when you're / you've finished.'
    'Please let me know when you've done the task' sounds a little stiff to my ears, it is quite formal, but appropriate for some settings. I think 'finished' works better if you're using 'task'. You wouldn't say, '...when you've done the job' (unless you're talking about a bank raid!)
    I might say, 'that task', or 'that job', by the way, if I was giving someone a series of tasks, which sounds like the context.

Bluegiraffe, I agree with your comments, except personally I wouldn't say 'Let me know when you've done' (I'd say, 'when you're done' - perhaps that's a Northern English expression you're using..

5. CarlosMu New Member

English - United States
    That's what she said.

6. Maanu Senior Member

Kerala,India
    India - Malayalam
    Tank you very much for the replies