1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Let me know when you finish

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Maanu, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Maanu Senior Member

Kerala,India
    India - Malayalam
    I usually use the statement 'Please let me know when you have finished/done the task' to inform me the completion of a task.

Is this a correct statement?
    Is there any other way to express the same idea?

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    That's a fine statement. You can also use present tense for the task: "Please let me know when you're finished" or "Please let me know when you finish the job (task)." I like "finish" a little better than "done," but "done" is also correct.

3. bluegiraffe

bluegiraffe Senior Member

Nottingham, England
    English - England
    I agree with Copyright, other than I think "let me know when you're/you've done" is more common over here.

4. Saritalove Senior Member

English - UK
    'Please let me know when you're done' is slightly less formal than 'Please let me know when you're / you've finished.'
    'Please let me know when you've done the task' sounds a little stiff to my ears, it is quite formal, but appropriate for some settings. I think 'finished' works better if you're using 'task'. You wouldn't say, '...when you've done the job' (unless you're talking about a bank raid!)
    I might say, 'that task', or 'that job', by the way, if I was giving someone a series of tasks, which sounds like the context.

Bluegiraffe, I agree with your comments, except personally I wouldn't say 'Let me know when you've done' (I'd say, 'when you're done' - perhaps that's a Northern English expression you're using..

5. CarlosMu New Member

English - United States
    That's what she said.

6. Maanu Senior Member

Kerala,India
    India - Malayalam
    Tank you very much for the replies