1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Let's hug it out

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by BENHU, Nov 14, 2007.

1. BENHU New Member

San diego
    Spanish, San diego
    Hello, anybody knows the meaning of this idiomatic expression
    "Let's hug it out" ?

2. Ilúvënis Tinúviel

Ilúvënis Tinúviel Senior Member

Spain
    Spain-Spanish
    I found some meanings typing on the internet

1. While engaged in an arguement with someone, and the arguement becomes public ( ie in an elevator and the doors open in the lobby) one person asks "Wanna hug it out?" and you stop the arguement and continue it at a later time, when it is out of the public eye.

(v) for two people, specially men, it means to hug one another in order to help one or other to get over anger or sadness

/http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=hug+it+out

3. BENHU New Member

San diego
    Spanish, San diego
    Interesting!

Thank you

CB

4. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    The only problem was that 'argument' was misspelled in the Urban Dictionary. Great for a Dictionary!:rolleyes:

5. parhuzam Senior Member

Los Angeles,CA
    USA/English/Español
    The original started out as...

Let's hug it out?...... Let's comfort each other.....( not only men.)

urban dictionary ? anyone can enter a definition.... I would take it with a grain of salt...

6. Ilúvënis Tinúviel

Ilúvënis Tinúviel Senior Member

Spain
    Spain-Spanish
    Yeah, great for a dictionary! =) it helps a lot with coloquial expressions, although they miss the spelling of some words, which I did not realize when posting them here ^^U. Sorry about that!

7. Tellico Junior Member

USA - English
    I've definitely never heard of this meaning for hugging it out...I wonder if someone made a mistake or played a joke in the urban dictionary. I would describe this definition as "let's take this offline".

To me hugging it out means let's get over our difference or argument, if we hug we'll forget why we were fighting.