Letter: Closing - casual and friendly

Discussion in 'English Only' started by wannaTalk, Jan 2, 2009.

1. wannaTalk Member

We hvae so many words or phrases that we could use when you end letter or email such as sincerely, best regards, truly yours,.....

I'm looking for some casual, not pretentious, warm but not too sweet words that I can use to someone who I don't know well but like to send a short thank you note.

As a non-native speaker, sincerely sounds too formal, best regards sounds also formal, tryly yours sounds too sweet,... I don't know why though.

Thanks in advance! :)
  2. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    One valediction that has gained prominence in electronic communication is "Cheers," as in:

3. wannaTalk Member

"Cheers" reminds me of I'm holding a glass of wine or beer and forwarding my glass to the other. Don't you feel it too cheerful? I like to know how native speakers feel on it.
  4. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    I'll just add this excerpt from wikipedia on Valedictions in e-mail:
    Wikipedia goes on to list as examples of this Cheers, Keep in touch, Take care, and Warmly.
  5. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    Cheers is common in British English, but if an American English speaker used it it would seem very odd.

Yours truly or very truly yours are appropriate for business letters, but they are not used in social correspondence; very truly yours is in fact a very formal business closing.

Sincerely, used alone without the "yours" that can follow it, is an approriate, polite, all-purpose ending for social letters in all but the most formal circumstances.

Best regards is not formal at all, and should never be used in circumstances requiring any formality. While many seem to like it, be aware that there are others who find it as forced and phony-sounding as "cordially".
  6. wannaTalk Member

Thanks for all answers.
    Actually, I didn't know the vocabulary, Valediction, to find the answer from online.

7. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    Valediction? I have never heard that before. The usual term I have always heard, and used, is complimentary close, or complimentary closing.
  8. Scribblerr

Scribblerr Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English US
    I always just use "yours."

9. about:blank Senior Member

I agree."Yours" always works.
    Also "Best regards", while more often I use "Best," or "Regards," seperately.
    Now I'm getting used to "cheers" 'cause all my Italian friends use it.
  10. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    I agree with "cheers" and "regards". I use "cheers" with people that I am casually acquainted with and "regards" if it is a new acquaintance.
  11. about:blank Senior Member

Anyways given the thread starter is currently in the US, "cheers" is not recommended.
  12. saajan_92 Senior Member

English (BrE), Spanish & Gujarati
    I would suggest ''Regards'' or ''Best'' whilst "Yours" would be better if you wanted to sound slightly more formal. ''Cheers'' may be too casual - I would only use it in speech, even in the UK.
  13. wannaTalk Member

Even though I'm not sure my perception of "Cheers", I would like to tell my story about "Cheers".

I saw "cheers" in business occasion for the first time. It was a business email that was shared by many different consultants. The contents of the email was completely business subject and one consultant used "cheers" for his closing.

As a non-English speaker, I felt like that he wrapped up the formal meeting all at once and changed it to Friday happy hour mode. I maybe exaggerate my feeling but it didn't sound fit to me.
  14. word_up

word_up Senior Member

I am really curious what would be a casual equivalent of British Cheers in American English - is there a similarly casual phrase to end an email in AE?
  15. Traveller5 Member

English – Canada
    I'd just like to add that in Canada 'cheers', despite carrying connotations of a British English cultural twist, has actually come to be quite often used in Canadian e-mails or any electronic messages (somewhat more formal texts or facebook messages, etc.). I think it's something that has caught on quite recently and I don't think it would be at all out of place in an American (casual) email (i.e. it would most certainly be understood and likely won't entirely be out of place).
  16. pob14 Senior Member

Central Illinois
    American English
    Most of the time I don't use a complimentary close at all in email. If I do, it's when I'm requesting something, and it's usually:

17. EnglishLady New Member

It's most commonly used when thanking someone :)