1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Letter: Closing - formal and informal

Discussion in 'English Only' started by bosun, Aug 26, 2007.

1. bosun Senior Member

korean
    Are there any differencts in the ending of letter between formal and informal letters? For example, I can add Yours sincerely, or Best regards. Right? But I heared that when you write a formal letter or informal letter there is slight differces. If so, please let me know. Thanks.!!

2. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    If you're writing to a close friend, you might say anything from "Love, Bosun" to "Thinking of you, Bosun". "Yours sincerely" is too formal for a letter to a close friend and "Best regards" is something I'd use for an acquaintance, not a close, personal pal.

3. stezza Banned

english italian
    When you end a formal letter, there are a few standard or conventional turns of phrase, usually Yours sincerely or Yours faithfully. Best regards and other locutions like this are best avoided in formal letters.

In the context of an informal letter, you can pretty much say what you want - Cheers, Write soon, Love you, Lots of love etc...

4. Harry Batt

Harry Batt Senior Member

Minneapolis
    USA English
    In the legal profession the standard Very Truly Yours is used. The formal endings in French are awesome. I can't imagine what they do when they feel it necessary to translate them. In English the degree of formality depends more on the writer's taste than any grammatical guide. Exceptions are in order for certain professions or institutions. I had an uncle who handled any problem by using an egoistical dodge. He signed letters to his sister, my mother, A S Brother, Cashier which was his title at the workplace.

5. DPA New Member

Brazilian Portuguese
    When "stezza" said the closing "write soon" does it mean that the writer will write soon again, or is it the imperative, asking for the person who receives the letter to write an answer soon?

6. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    I understand that as an imperative. You would use it only in an informal letter, as "stezza" says. However, it shows a friendly interest in what the other person has to say.