Letter: How to make a request letter sound official

Discussion in 'English Only' started by shinke98, Apr 18, 2007.

1. shinke98 Junior Member

Republic of Korea
    when writing offical request letter,
    how do I have to paraphrase to make the contact person feel that that's official letter and very polite?

Would you tell me your feeling regarding the following sentence?

"This institute would like to kindly ask you to reply your President's name and his/her e-mail to ###@###.com in order to keep the President got into the forum"

All the suggestions are pretty welcome.

Thanks in advance.:)

2. AngelEyes

AngelEyes Senior Member

English - United States
    Shinke98:

Here is a suggestion. I'm not certain I've phrased it the best possible way, though. I might not have understood your goal correctly, or I may have worded it TOO formally.

AngelEyes

3. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    I would make a real effort to find out the person's name. That would go a long way towards making the letter "polite". A phone call will often be all that is needed to find out the name.

As far as "official" goes, you can be formal or personal.

For personal:

"I am writing on behalf of the Atomic Energy Commission on the matter of your errant enriched uranium..."

For official:

"We are writing to inform you that your misplacing enriched uranium is considered by our organization to be a serious breech..."

From my experience, official correspondence is written in the 3rd person.

Writing in the first person is friendlier, but may not be appropriate for most official correspondence. I would not use this form unless I knew the person reasonably well.

I am not aware of any specific rules on this matter.

4. winklepicker

winklepicker Senior Member

Kent
    English (UK)
    They've hidden it down their trousers then?!

5. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    A spell checker will not save us from our own stupidity. Of course it should be "breach".

Although, in my mind "breech" is the end of a gun barrel and not a pair of trousers. Thanks for the heads up.

Now about that enriched uranium in your basement...

6. winklepicker

winklepicker Senior Member

Kent
    English (UK)
    Half a pair of trousers perhaps?!

7. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    Much better.