Letter: Opening and closing a personal letter (links at #6)

Discussion in 'English Only' started by bosun, Sep 27, 2007.

1. bosun Banned

when you write a persnal letter, what are the typical salutations and close? Can you give me some examples? Thanks a lot.
  2. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    Hi, Bosun

Could you please be more specific? "Personal" has a wide range of variations.

3. Phred Member

U.S.A English
    Just to throw some greetings/endings out there:
    Dear [name],
    To [name],
    Hi [name],

Love, [name]
    Your friend, [name]
    With much love, [name]
    Wishing you well, [name]
    From, [name]
    Hoping to see you soon, [name]

With regard to endings, you can pretty much use any adjective or descriptive phrase with the sender's name.
  4. nichec

nichec Senior Member

When I write something to panj, I would go "Dearest panj.................always yours, ..........".

When I write something to bosun, I would go "Hi, Bosun...............regards, nichec".
  5. Prairiefire

Prairiefire Senior Member

US (Midwest) - English
    How I start a personal letter depends very much on relationship with the person to whom I am writing.

Unless you are close enough to the person to start the letter with a pet name or something like, 'Dear Sweetheart,' the opening is almost always, 'Dear Sue' or 'Dear Mark.' Just the first name.

The closings vary more. When the letter is addressed to a family member or a very close friend, the closing is typically:
    (your first name)

For friends who are not close enough to send 'love' to, you have many acceptable options. Depending upon the tone of the letter and your relationship with the friend, you could use any of these:

Take care,

See you soon,

We miss you,

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Have fun,

...all followed by your first name.

'Sincerely' is usually a little too formal for personal letters, but it could be used.
  6. Trisia

Trisia mod de viață