Letter: Opening - wishing someone luck at the beginning of a letter?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by kyn, Jul 10, 2007.

1. kyn

kyn Senior Member

Hanoi, Vietnam
    I was wondering if native English speakers ever begin a letter by wishing someone luck/health or something like that?
    E.g. Can I begin a letter with "First of all, I'd like to send my greetings (is "greeting" OK here?) to your family"?
  2. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    It would depend on the letter, Kyn. If you're talking about a business letter to a business associate, traditionally, it would be done at the end ie: "In closing, I hope that your family is well" or "I trust that you and yours are all well" or "I send my regards to your family and hope that they are well" - something like that.
  3. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    In a personal letter, it would be very common and traditional to begn with something like "I hope this letter finds you well", or some other personal good wishes, such as "I hope you and your wife are in good health" or "I hope you and your family are enjoying this fine weather", etc.
  4. idialegre Senior Member

Hamburg, Germany
    USA English
    Generally, one sends "greetings." You can, however, say "I send a warm (or heartfelt, or sincere) greeting."
  5. English_Lover Member

Rome - IT
    Italy - Italian
    You may want to try this: I hope this letter finds you and your family in good health and great spirit.