1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Letter Salutations

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Asdourian, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Asdourian New Member

California
    USA, English & Italian
    What is a good salutation in Italian for a business letter?

2. Silvia

Silvia Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    It depends on who the addressee is.

Woman:
    Gentilissima Signora xxx = (short form) Gent.ma S.ra

Man:
    Egregio Signor xxx = (short form) Egr. Sig. xxx

General:
    Egregi Signori (or nothing at all)

It would be better if you could supply us with some examples... specifying who the receiver is.

3. mary2686 New Member

Italia Italiano
    Ciao a tutti! Ho visto che in molti casi suggerite di iniziare una lettera in inglese con "Dear". Va bene anche per casi formali? C'è qualche alternativa più formale? Qui c'è una bozza della lettera, poterste dirmi se si capisce abbastanza e se l'inglese va bene secondo voi? (You maiuscolo è come da noi il Lei maiuscono in un testo o non ha senso?)
    "I'm an Italian student of the second year of Physics.
    I'm going to spent three months in Bangalore this Autumn, from October to December. I would like to attend some courses during my staying, maybe similar to those I should attend in Italy for the first term of the third year (Quantum Mechanics, Nuclear Physics and Structure of Matter), but even other. Is it possible? Could You give me some suggestion?
    Thanky you"
    Grazie mille!

4. Siberia

Siberia Sibermod

UK-Wales - English
    Dear Sirs - is the formal opening for letters
    You is never capitalized unless at the beginning of a sentence

5. mary2686 New Member

Italia Italiano
    Grazie mille per la risposta!

6. shuxtere New Member

Italy - Italian
    Hi everybody, I'm translating an e-mail content from Italian to English and I don't see how to introduce it. It must be neither too formal nor informal. In Italian it starts with "Gentile xxx, ...."
    Could you help me?
    Thanks everybody.
    shu

7. stezza Banned

english italian
    Gentile .../Dear ....

8. futuretranslator Senior Member

Florence
    Italy; Italian
    I've been told that "you" requires the capital letter when used as formal way to address someone...

9. Siberia

Siberia Sibermod

UK-Wales - English
  10. TrentinaNE Senior Member

USA
    English (American)
    You've been told wrong. ;) Seeing the word You capitalized in the middle of a sentence would strike me as a weird affectation.

Elisabetta

11. r€nato New Member

USA - English
    Why would that be wrong? If you are addressing someone formally (which would be the usual case in a business letter), you must use the "Lei" pronoun, and direct/indirect objects must be capitalized. Example:

"Secondo il Suo richiesto, ho allegato qualche foto di Loro capolavori."

It only looks weird if you are accustomed to English.

12. TrentinaNE Senior Member

USA
    English (American)
    That's exactly the point. ;) Capitalizing Lei in the middle of a sentence is standard practice in Italian, while capitalizing You mid-sentence is not standard practice in English -- at least not in my neck of the woods! :)

Welcome to WRF.

Elisabetta

13. r€nato New Member

USA - English
    I thought futuretranslator was talking about Italian, not English... I re-read the post and it's still not clear to me to which language he/she is referring.

(Ale Viola!)

14. TrentinaNE Senior Member

USA
    English (American)
    In post #8, futuretranslator was responding to a comment by Siberia that deals with English usage. ;) See also Mary2686's question in Post #3 which precipated the discussion:
    Ciao! :)
    Elisabetta