1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

levantamiento

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by spim, May 24, 2012.

1. spim Junior Member

[FONT=&quot]Hola a todos,

tengo que traducir esta frase y tengo problemas con la palabra levantamiento , no le encuentro el sentido pero tal vez se deba a que esta frase a su vez, fue traducida del portugues al español y tal vez esa palabra sea incorrecta. La frase es la siguiente:

Análisis de sociedades empresariales para levantamiento de contingencias de naturaleza civil e inmobiliaria, apuntando, inclusive, a la identificación de alternativas jurídicas y negociales.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Mi traduccion: Analysis[/FONT][FONT=&quot] of business partnerships for ??? of contingencies of corporate and commercial nature, aiming[/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]even, to [/FONT][FONT=&quot]the identification of[/FONT][FONT=&quot] legal and business alternatives.[/FONT]

Muchas gracias.

2. pato.garza Junior Member

spanish
    To raise?

Like raise an issue in court.

3. Anwar Boylston Senior Member

New York
    U.S.A.; English
    Spim,

Opening? Issuing? Even so, and including Pato's suggestion, no tengo la menor idea que quiere decir. Español o inglés.

4. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

Do you have the whole article?
    I'm thinking it might be "survey" or "assessment."

5. robjh22 Senior Member

U.S.A. & English
  6. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

Raising as in mentioning or discussing?

7. dagomora New Member

Costa Rica
    Spanish
    I also found a problem related to the same word "Levantamiento" in Spanish. When a mortgage is registered in the National Registry once cancelled the same must be removed and the word used here is LEVANTAMIENTO. Like many in this forum I don't find a legal term who actually describe this term in English.
    Para los que son de habla Hispana: Yo tambien me he encontrado con este problema relacionado con la palabra "LEVANTAMIENTO" como en el caso de una hipoteca que se inscribe en el Registro Nacional; una vez cancelada se debe proceder con el LEVANTAMIENTO de la misma. al igual que muchos tengo problemas con esta palabra para encontrar un termino en Ingles que describa esta accion.

8. dagomora New Member

Costa Rica
    Spanish
    I also found a problem related to the same word "Levantamiento" in Spanish. When a mortgage is registered in the National Registry once cancelled the same must be removed and the word used here is LEVANTAMIENTO. Like many in this forum I don't find a legal term who actually describe this term in English.
    Para los que son de habla Hispana: Yo tambien me he encontrado con este problema relacionado con la palabra "LEVANTAMIENTO" como en el caso de una hipoteca que se inscribe en el Registro Nacional; una vez cancelada se debe proceder con el LEVANTAMIENTO de la misma. al igual que muchos tengo problemas con esta palabra para encontrar un termino en Ingles que describa esta accion.

9. litiga8or

litiga8or Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    Rainy Oregon! USA
    Not raised. LIFTED. We can LIFT a lien, which means to cancel it, or remove it, or enter a satisfaction for it, or somehow make it go away. We can LIFT a penalty. Here in the U.S., we don't really LIFT a mortgage, but I suppose we could if we had to, like if we owned property in Spain and had finished paying for it. As for our personal problems, we can pray to God to have them LIFTED from our shoulders.

But never "raised."

So I would say "Now that the mortgage is paid in full, it has been LIFTED." or "I had the mortgage LIFTED off the records." Another way would be to say "the mortgage has been REMOVED from the Mortgage Records.

10. dagomora New Member

Costa Rica
    Spanish
    Thank you very much for your kind input. Highly appreciated. That makes a lot of sense. We in Costa Rica have other related issues with this word "LEVANTAMIENTO" this happens when there is legal problems with a vehicle and the National Registry records those cases. Once they are solved they have to be lifted (cleared) from the records.
    Thank you much.

11. weblau Junior Member

That's great, Litigat8r, but what would be the NOUN? I am translating a power of attorney where it says 'inhibiciones y su cancelacion y levantamiento'. Lift and cancellation of inhibitions? GRAX

12. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

Constraints and their cancellation and removal, cancellation and removal of constraints
    "Lift/lifting" is not usually a good translation, Mortgage Lifter tomatoes notwithstanding ;)

13. weblau Junior Member

Gracias, me gusta 'Constraints and their cancellation and removal', ¿pero y por qué no 'inhibitions and their....'? Como para quedar más convincente con el cliente... Gracias por las colaboraciones. LmS

14. litiga8or

litiga8or Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    Rainy Oregon! USA
    Because in English, "inhibitions" refers to one's social behavior, especially sexual behavior. A person who drinks too much can lose their inhibitions and do and say things they would not do or say if they were sober. Aphrodisiacs are used to overcome a person's sexual inhibitions.

Your client might prefer a sound-alike English word, but I don't think your client would be happy with the resulting translation. ;-D