levantarse - Reflexive verb

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by scfan, Jan 21, 2008.

1. scfan Senior Member

USA / English
    Hi. I'm trying very hard to learn all about reflexive verbs. Would these sentences both be correct?

"Manana me levanto a las 7."

"Manana tengo que levantarme a las 7."

Basically what I am trying to figure out is whether I can always use both this structure:

me levanto

as well as this structure:

and still have a correct sentence.

2. Milton Sand

Milton Sand Modómano, 'mano

Bucaramanga, Colombia
    Español (Colombia)
    Yes. But there's a rule: when going with an infinive, the atonic pronoun goes as a sufix, after the verb and joined to it (levantarme).

When the verb is conjugated, the atonic pronoun goes before (me levanto) except for imperative mood, where the pronoun stays after the verb and joined: levántate.

By the way, "levantarse" is not reflexive but just pronominal. I mean, in "levantarse" you don't perform the action on yourself (you are not the "victim"), you are just part of the action, or are responsible of it, or take advantage of it, or have an emotional relation to it, or whatever sense a pronominal verb might have.

However, reflexives are a kind of pronominal verbs, so this rules apply for them too.

Thinking of it better, there are of course reflexive uses for "levantar", not meaning "to get up":
    Me levanté en el aire usando sólo el poder mi mente = I lifted my self on the air by using only my mind's power.
  3. scfan Senior Member

USA / English
    Thanks Milton. Forever I was puzzled as to why some verbs were preceded by 'se' and some werent. I couldn't figure it out. I'm still a bit confused, but it's becoming more clear to me.

Thanks for the help.
  4. Milton Sand

Milton Sand Modómano, 'mano

Bucaramanga, Colombia
    Español (Colombia)
  5. lazarus1907 Senior Member

Lincoln, England
    Spanish, Spain
    A reflexive/pronominal verb is conjugated like this:

Me levanto
    te levantas
    Se levanta
    Nos levantamos
    Os levantáis
    Se levantan

The phrase <Tener que + infinitive> expresses obligation, and if the verb in infinitive is a reflexive/pronominal, it goes like this:

Tengo que levantarme.
    Tienes que levantarte.
    Tiene que levantarse.
    Tenemos que levantarnos.
    Tenéis que levantaros.
    Tienen que levantarse.