Levantine Arabic: Better to be silent and be thought a fool...

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by abuhedou, Nov 29, 2012.

1. abuhedou New Member

What are some Shami/Levantine Arabic sayings that express "it's better to keep your mouth shut"?

There's "silence is golden" but if it were possible to translate literally, what I would want to say is something like, "It's better to be silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt." That is, being quiet and having people think that you are foolish is better than opening your mouth and making a truly stupid mistake. This seems like an expression that might exist in Arabic in some form, though not literally translated!

I know بلع لسانك but I think that refers to something you have already said, what I am looking for is more of a warning to be silent. (Or an explanation as to why you clam up in front of your Arab colleagues. :))
  2. shaliach Member

English - U.S.A.
    I'm not sure how fitting this is, so confirmation from a native Arabic speaker would be of great benefit. But, the first thing that came to my mind was: إذا كان الكلام من فضة فالسكوت من ذهب

Roughly translated: If speech is silver, then silence is gold.
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  3. abuhedou New Member

Thanks for the suggestion! I came across this phrase when searching on my own but I was looking for something a bit more humorous.
  4. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    Maybe something like this has a lebanese equivalent:
    امسك لسانك
    خليك ساكت أحسن