Levantine Arabic/MSA: Stand one's ground

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by eric489, Jan 30, 2013.

1. eric489 Senior Member

French
    Hi everyone,

How would one translate the idiom "to stand one's ground" in MSA ? Additionally, in levantine/3amiya dialect.

Please vocalize your answer using diacritics as I'm still a beginner :)

e.g. : He stood his ground by demanding the contract reviewed.

Thanks in advance :)
    (btw, how would one say "thanks in advance/ thank you beforehand" when closing a letter/comment/remark ?)

2. Josh_ Senior Member

the phrontistery
    U.S., English
    Hi Eric,

As a concept, I believe you can express it with the noun الصمود (aS-Samuud), from the verb صمد (Samada).

As a verbal phrase, perhaps you could use ظلّ صامدًا (DHalla Saamidan; to remain steadfast), although I believe the idea of 'remaining' is already implicit in صمد (and nouns derived from it), as it is in the English phrase.

If you wanted to say what you are standing your ground against you could use any of the verbal phrases: صمد أمام (Samada 2amaama), صمد لـ (Samada li), or صمد في وجه (Samada fi wajhi; literally to stand firm in the face of). I believe the first may only be able to be used with a person, (e.g. صمد أمام أدائه, Samada 2amaama 2a3daa2ihi; standing one's ground against one's enemies), whereas the latter two can be used either people or nouns (e.g. صمد في وجه القمع, Samada fi wajhi 'l-qam3; standing against or resisting oppression). I'm not 100% certain on that. You'll have to wait for someone to confirm.

That's for MSA. I'm not sure what they would use in the Levantine dialects, although my guess would be that صمد is used (with slight vowel and preposition alteration to fit the the dialects).

كان صامدا في مطالبته بمراجعة العقد.
    (kaana Saamidan fi muTaalabatihi bi-muraaja3ati 'l-3aqd.)

...which is somewhat of a literal translation.

Perhaps you could just use أصرّ, (l2aSarra) which is like "to insist." So your sentence might be rendered:

أصر على مراجعة العقد.
    (2aSarra 3ala muraaja3ati 'l-3aqd.)
    He insisted that the contract be reviewed.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013