Levantine Arabic: to want - بدّ

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by Abu Rashid, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Abu Rashid

Abu Rashid Senior Member

Melbourne, Australia
    Australian English
    elroy suggested this should become a new topic if it were to be carried any further, so here it is.

From what I understood of the word, it is used as a noun, since the pronouns are attached to it as they would be to a noun for instance

my wanting: بدّي
    your wanting: بدّك
    his wanting: بدّه
    her wanting: بدّها
    etc.

This is normally how pronouns would be attached to a noun for instance

my book: كتابي
    your book: كتابك
    his book: كتابه
    her book: كتابها
    etc.

If I am wrong then please explain this a little clearer for me if you can elroy or any other Palestinian or speaker of Levantine dialect (3ameeyah ash-Shameeyah)

2. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
    American English, Palestinian Arabic
    You are partly right. It is a contraction of a noun and a preposition.

In MSA it would correspond to بِوِد (i.e. بـِ + وِد).

So the MSA "biwid-" is contracted to "bid-" in Levantine Arabic (also further mutating to "bad-" in some dialects).

To this the various pronoun suffixes are added.

I hope that has made things clearer. :) If you have other questions feel free to ask them.

3. Abu Rashid

Abu Rashid Senior Member

Melbourne, Australia
    Australian English
    Thanks for that elroy.

I do have another question, is that ود related to ودّ as in the verb 'to love'?

4. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
    Yes.

وِد (wid) is a noun meaning "love, desire" and وَدَّ (wadda) is a verb meaning "to love, to desire."

5. Arrius

Arrius Senior Member

Spain
    English, UK
    و,داد (Widaad), therefore, - hope I spelled it right- a girl's name apparently equivalent to French Désirée, must be derived from this root?

6. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
    Right again.

7. HKK

HKK Senior Member

3010 Leuven, Be.
    Dutch/Belgium
    Is Widaad the female equivalent of Dawood then? Or is there a different shade in meaning?

8. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
    Well, not really. The meanings are related, but Dawuud is originally a Hebrew name (as you probably know!), so you can't really say that it is the masculine version of Widaad.

As for the meanings,

Widaad is "love" (the sentiment) whereas Dawuud/David is "beloved one" (in Hebrew).

Let's see how many related topics we can squeeze in this thread. So far we have

Levantine word for "want" -> related verb "to love" -> Widaad -> Dawuud

What next? ;)

9. HKK

HKK Senior Member

3010 Leuven, Be.
    Dutch/Belgium
    Well, this is about the son of biblical Dawuud and بدّه a ring:

http://www.wscribe.com/parables/pass.html

Beautiful story :) How would Gam zeh ya'avor translate in Arabic? Would the initials be Jiim Zaaii Yaa?

10. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
    Ok, now we're really off-topic, but I'll answer your question anyway since this thread hasn't exactly been focused. ;) I insist, though, that you open a new thread if you wish to discuss new topics.

"Gam ze ya'avor" would be هذا أيضًا سيمضي, and no, we would not just transliterate the first letter of each of the Hebrew words. :)

11. eac Senior Member

USA, English
    Must the pronoun attached to bidd- always agree with a following verb, i.e. بده يشتغل، بدنا نشتغل، بدي اشتغل
    How can we say عايزنا نشتغل He wants us to work?

شكرا

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2013
  12. vinyljunkie619 Senior Member

so-cal
    algerian arabic/american english
    I have heard lebanese say "huwa beddo neshte3'el" and "beddo yana neshte3'el"

13. dkarjala Senior Member

English - America
    I can remember and find many instances where the verb is subordinated (lacks the indicative prefix) without a pronoun object. ما بدي تروح 'I don't want you to go" , etc. Of course, you can also use the accusative independent forms like with ya/iya e.g. ما بدي ياك تروح But I think by and large these are optional, as we also have the option in MSA of saying اريد أن تذهب or أريدك ان تذهب.

Of course, I will defer to our native-speaking members for a definitive answer.

14. analeeh Senior Member

English - UK
    Biddi etc (also waddi in some strange riifi dialects in Jordan at least - which has just been explained to me by that etymology given above, so thanks) falls into a class that at least one linguist describes as 'pseudoverbs' - i.e. things which act very like verbs but are not morphologically/lack some of their characteristics. Looking at biddi in terms of its etymology explains why its 'conjugation' looks like a noun with personal pronouns but it doesn't explain some of its behaviour very well. I learnt if I remember correctly kān biddi كان بدّي for 'I wanted' with invariable kān, but some people in Jordan at least say kunt biddi, which is directly analogous to, say, kunt bashteghel. I don't know if this tendency has been carried this far in all of the Levantine dialects though. The only way it differs from a verb in its usage is that it can't take object suffixes because it already has them so it has to use yaa- instead, and in that it doesn't have a ماضي form.

It's perfectly possible to say biddi ta36ii-ni l-ma9aari il-yoom, as well as with yaaki and I think also you can say biddi innak ta36ii-ni etc (but I'd like a native's opinion on that).

15. k8an Senior Member

Melbourne, Australia.
    English - Australian
    In Lebanese specifically (I don't think this applies to other Levantine), the following verb for first person usually does not have an alif in front of it. For example:
    بدي شوفك baddé shoufak (I want to see you) as opposed to بدي اشوفك baddi/biddi ashoufak (other Levantine)
    بدي قللك baddé 2ellak (I want to tell you) as opposed to بدي اقوللك baddi/biddi a2oullak (other Levantine)
    خليني شوفك khaliiné shoufak

16. analeeh Senior Member

English - UK
    That's the same in my experience in Damascene Arabic too - with verbs that start with a consonant cluster there is a first person prefix which sounds like i- but with those that start with only one consonant there's no first person prefix. For Jordanian though there's a first person prefix a- which appears in all environments, with all derived forms of the verb (e.g. biddi ashuufak, biddi a7ki-lak ishi, biddi adarris il-ingliizi).