1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

ley de matrimonio civil

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by vicente_romma, Nov 6, 2010.

1. vicente_romma Junior Member

Nueva Imperial, Chile
    Chilean Spanish
    I need to translate the phrase "la ley de matrimonio civil" into English.

Any ideas?, it's for an abstract.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  2. David Senior Member

The civil marriage statute

3. vicente_romma Junior Member

Nueva Imperial, Chile
    Chilean Spanish
    Cool!.. I can't decide whether to use civil or legal, both sound right to me...

Could you help me with the whole paragraph..,. it says something like:

[FONT=&quot]"La Nueva Ley de Matrimonio Civil introdujo en nuestra legislación la institución de la compensación económica como una forma de compensar a uno de los cónyuges, en los casos de divorcio o nulidad matrimonial, en la medida que se configuren los supuestos prescritos en las disposiciones que la regulan. No obstante, en dicha regulación no se estableció la naturaleza jurídica atribuible a esta institución.[/FONT]"

My try:

The new civil/legal marriage statute established the economical compensation into the Chilean Legislation, as a way of compensating one of the spouses whenever the couple gets divorced or asks for marriage invalidity. This compensation works as far as the pre-scripted assumptions that regulate the statute get configured.

I'm sorry, I suck at translating long paragraphs... I don't even understand them!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  4. David Senior Member

"La Nueva Ley de Matrimonio Civil introdujo a nuestra legislación la institución de la compensación económica como una forma de compensar a uno de los cónyuges, en los casos de divorcio o nulidad matrimonial, en la medida que se configuren los supuestos prescritos en las disposiciones que la regulan. No obstante, en dicha regulación no se estableció la naturaleza jurídica atribuible a esta institución.[/FONT]"

The new civil marriage statute introduced into Chilean law the concept of financial restitution as a form of compensating one of the spouses in the case of divorce or annullment, to the degree that the requirements of law are met. Nevertheless, the aforesaid statute, did not establish the legal framework for implementing the concept.

"I'm sorry, I suck at translating long paragraphs... I don't even understand them!" We are not supposed to translate whole paragraphs, but I try to be helpful to the extent the moderators permit. The truth is that legal translation is not a hobby, though many people think that because they have some acquaintaince with a language other than their own they are qualified to translate complex states and contracts in either direction. Usually, one should concentrate on translating into one's native language, much easier and much more likely to be accurate than the reverse. If you "suck" at translating long paragraphs you do not understand, perhaps you should try your hand at simpler material at first.

5. Jimbo the Nomad

Jimbo the Nomad Junior Member

Castellano, CHile
    I would go for "the Civil Marriage Act".