libertad de educación

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by T_Morus, Dec 26, 2013.

1. T_Morus Junior Member

¿Cuál sería el equivalente en EE. UU. a lo que (en Chile, al menos) se conoce como "libertad de educación"?
    Libertad de educación es el derecho a educar, que corresponde preferentemente a los padres y, subsidiariamente, al Estado.
    Esta libertad comprende el derecho de elegir el lugar para educar a los hijos.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2015
  2. Education Freedom.
  3. gringoloko Senior Member

TN, EUA
    Español - Colombia, Inglés EUA
    Creo que sería mejor "freedom of education", ya que esto sigue un patrón bien establecido en el inglés norteamericano. P.ej. freedom of the press, freedom of speech, freedom of religion, etc.
  4. Sí, he indicado la expresión nominal (Education Freedom Act, Education Freedom Committe, Education Freedom Day, Education Freedom Foundation, etc.); pero gringoloko tiene razón en el uso de la forma preposicional al referirse a la libertad en sí.
  5. David Senior Member

I do not see a direct parallel with the "Freedom of Expression," "Freedom of Religion," or even "Academic Freedom." It appears to refer rather to the right of the parents and the State to exercise certain choices. It does not appear to apply to the right of an individual to obtain an education. I would use "Educational Rights," as vague as the original.
  6. E.Mia

E.Mia Junior Member

If I understand you correctly, this right does not exist in most localities here in the USA. Students usually have to go to their local school, unless their parents choose to pay for a private school or homeschool them. There is a "school choice" movement which is in favor of parents having the right to choose which public school to send their child to. (It sounds like this is the right you are referring to?) There is also a related "school voucher" movement that supports the government giving students a voucher (for tuition) to attend a private school if their local public school is bad.

In all states however you DO have the right to enroll your child in a private or religious school, or to teach them at home. But it sounds like you are talking about the right to choose which public school to send your child to, and that right doesn't exist here.

If you see the term Education Freedom it most likely refers to a political movement rather than an actual guaranteed right, like Freedom of the Press.
  7. David Senior Member

The most frequent US equivalent would be "open enrollment," one of the methods used to overcome racial segregation caused by patterns of racial segregation in housing. It meant parents could enroll their children in any public school within a given jurisdiction, whether or not it was the school closest to their place of residence. However, I do not think this ileterm would be an adequate translation for the Chilean term "Libertad de Educación." In my view, terms such as this, selected for their political implications, should be translated as literally as possible, avoiding false equivalencies.
  8. gringoloko Senior Member

TN, EUA
    Español - Colombia, Inglés EUA
    Which is why I propose "freedom of education". I was referring not so much to a legal doctrine as to the linguistic pattern of freedom of the press, freedom of speech, and freedom of religion, where "freedom of education" fits in nicely.

It is not an entirely new term in the English language, although you are correct that no such right exists in the US.