1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

libre abundante líquidos

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by yimei, Jan 17, 2013.

1. yimei Senior Member

English USA
    I am translating "Treatment Instructions" document from Spanish to English. It originates from Mexico.

In the section called "Dieta" the instructions "libre abundante líquidos" appear.
    (Dieta: Libre abundante Líquidos)

Free of abundant liquids? as in avoid liquids?

freely drink plenty of liquids?

Or is "Libre" merely conveying a similar idea to abundante. and "Drink plenty of liquids" is enough (I can leave out "freely")?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  2. sergio11 Senior Member

Los Angeles and Buenos Aires
    Spanish (lunfardo)
    It is a chaotic jumble of words without punctuation. It means, "libre, líquidos abundantes," that is, "free <comma>, abundant liquids." The "libre" answers to "dieta," and the rest is an added explanation as to the amount of liquids.

So the translation would be, "Free diet and abundant liquids," which means, "you can eat anything you want, and drink a lot of liquids."

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  3. mewilson Senior Member

In English medical jargon, we often say "force fluids." For example, for someone with gastroenteritis, one might recommend the following: Bland diet, tylenol for myalgias, force fluids.

4. Ilialluna

Ilialluna Senior Member

Madrid
    Español-España
    Hola. No creo que esto sea aplicable en este caso.

5. horsewishr

horsewishr Senior Member

Michigan (USA)
    English (Generic Midwest Variety)
    I was going to say the same thing.

Ilialluna, why do you think it's not correct?

6. sergio11 Senior Member

Los Angeles and Buenos Aires
    Spanish (lunfardo)
    Doesn't "force fluids" mean "make the patient drink," or "encourage the patient to drink?" In other words, isn't it a directive given to another doctor, a nurse or a caregiver in general, and not to the patient? In the instructions given to the patient, don't you say more commonly, "drink abundant liquids," or "drink a lot?" This text gave me the impression of being directed to the patient. If it is directed to the nurse or another doctor, yes, you would say "force fluids," but in talking to the patient it sounds a bit too technical to me. Some patients wouldn't even know what "fluids" means, let alone "forcing" them. As I said above, I may be wrong, because I am not a native English speaker.

7. mewilson Senior Member

Good point, sergio11. "Drink plenty of fluids" would be more appropriate when speaking to the patient or in written instructions to the patient.