Licenciada en Educación mencíón Idiomas Modernos

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by powerpuff girl, Oct 16, 2010.

1. powerpuff girl New Member

Spanish
    Please, I need help about translating this: Licenciada en Educación mención Idiomas Modernos. I need this for a job application :confused:...
    Thanks!

2. Perrito

Perrito Senior Member

Estats Units
    Estats Units, anglès
    Degree/Major in Education (Degree es mejor para tu CV)
    Mention, creo que podría ser como una subcarrera, una concentración secundaria, lo que en inglés americano: Minor in Modern Languages.

Goyo

3. Nadia2222 Junior Member

Venezuelan Spanish
    Hello, I saw this thread and I have lots of doubts about a number of academic terms :confused:

If I want to say I'm a Licenciada en Idiomas Modernos con mención en traducciónthe closest translation I can find is "I have a bachelor's degree in Modern Languages with a major in Translation.

But, there are other versions that translate "mención" as "specialization". And it doesn't end here: there is also the term "minor" which is also like a specialization. I am translating a document with academic terms like these, If someone could clarify this confusion I would appreciate it a lot!
    Thank you beforehand

4. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod, I say, Moderator

Arizona
    American English
    The term "major", which is used in U.S. universities to refer to a person's major area of study, is similar to the word "specialization". However, you can use both in the same phrase to distinguish different areas of study.

For example, if your Bachelor's degree is in Modern Languages, then ML is your major. I would say that you specialized in translation, or that your specialization was in translation.

You also have a minor area of study, or "minor", which can be something related or can be in a totally different area. For example:
    Bachelor's of Arts in Modern Languages, with a specialization in Translation. Minor in Math.

5. Nadia2222 Junior Member

Venezuelan Spanish
    Thank you very much, you have clarified my ideas! What is difficult is that we don't have the same system in Latin America so we don't have the exact word to translate it! But that will do it!

6. bailarín

bailarín Senior Member

Ciudadano del mundo
    English (USA)
    Is "Translation" part of the "Modern Languages" degree?

If so, I would say "I have a (bachelor's) degree in Modern Languages with a focus in Translation."

If not (that is, if it's not part of the curriculum), I would say "I have a (bachelor's) degree in Modern Languages with a minor in Translation."

Note: A minor is a very abbreviated schedule. Let's say a typical "full" major takes about 12-15 classes to obtain. A minor would only take about 5-6 classes to obtain.

Hope this helps.

7. Nadia2222 Junior Member

Venezuelan Spanish
    Thank you for that comment! Actually, translation is part of the curriculum of the Modern Languages degree. However, we have only 5 subjects of translation. That is to say, that we first have English, French, Linguistics, and other courses and at the end of the career, we have courses of translation I, II, III, IV and V. That is why it could not be a minor degree. In Spanish we say "Licenciatura en Idiomas Modernos con mención en Traducción" But I don't know if "focus" is the accurate word. We would need more opinions! thank you!

8. bailarín

bailarín Senior Member

Ciudadano del mundo
    English (USA)
    Hola. Sí, si hay que tomar esos cursos y son requisitos de tu programa, no puede ser "minor". Yo diría lo que puse ayer: "I have a (bachelor's) degree in Modern Languages with a focus in Translation." Pero tienes razón... a ver que dicen otros.