Licenciado/licenciada (professional title)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by pachis, Jan 22, 2013.

1. pachis

pachis Senior Member

Madison, WI
    Mexico, Spanish
    Hello !

Just wondering if someone could help me out ...

I am translating some official documents for my job and I keep running into the word licenciada(o). I have looked up the translation on WR - read a couple threads already - but I'm not satisfied. I am looking for a word that represents a title, like doctor or professor, and graduate doesn't seem to represent the same thing.

La licenciada Marisol del Pilar Contreras Sandoval [...] legaliza la(s) forma(s) que autoriza(n) el presente documento ...
    Professional title Marisol del Pilar Contreras Sandoval [...] legalizes the form(s) that authorize(s) the present document ...

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  2. Alisterio

Alisterio Senior Member

Mexico City
    UK English
    If the term is being used specifically as someone's title, I usually don't try to translate "licenciado/a". In Britain, and as far as I know most other English-speaking countries, it's not usual to use someone's level of studies as their title until they are a doctor, so:
    Sr. Pérez => Mr. Pérez
    Lic. Pérez => Mr. Pérez
    (the same would also apply for Ingeniero, Contador Público, Arquitecto, and all those other titles that people use in the Spanish-speaking world)
    Mto. Pérez => Mr. Pérez
    Dr. Pérez => Dr. Pérez

P.S. You might want to edit the title of the thread - you wrote "lecenciada/o"

3. pachis

pachis Senior Member

Madison, WI
    Mexico, Spanish
    [Porción retirada por moderador]
    Thanks for your help!

[Porción retirada por moderador]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013