lick your weight in frog spawn

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Q-cumber, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Q-cumber

Q-cumber Senior Member

A bit on the side
    Russia/Russian
    Hello!

I'm reading the 'Playback' novel by Raymond Chandler. Here below is the quote from the book I need some help with:
    I don't get the part in bold well. Could you kindly reword it for me?

2. bluegiraffe

bluegiraffe Senior Member

Nottingham, England
    English - England
    It is just a phrase to mean that Goble acts arrogantly. It doesn't really mean anything and I've never heard it used before, but the format is very familiar.

3. Q-cumber

Q-cumber Senior Member

A bit on the side
    Russia/Russian
    Hi bluegiraffe,

Thanks for your prompt response. So, you don't understand the 'frog spawn' part either, do you? The general meaning of the phrase is pretty clear to me, but I'd like to get the details, so to speak..

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  4. bluegiraffe

bluegiraffe Senior Member

Nottingham, England
    English - England
    Well literally it means that he can lick the same weight in frog spawn as he is. So if he weighs 12 stone, he can lick 12 stone of frog spawn. But there is no real meaning to that!

5. Q-cumber

Q-cumber Senior Member

A bit on the side
    Russia/Russian
    What does 'lick' mean here - to tongue or to defeat (comprehensively)? To overcome?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  6. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    I'm not certain what "frog spawn" is intended to communicate, but "lick" would mean to defeat in a combat. The "your weight in" construction is not uncommon to refer to fighting; I think the speaker is accusing the character of being pugnacious and arrogant.

7. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    Wouldn't "frog spawn" be tadpoles? These are very innocuous creatures, and would be especially ineffective in a fight, even if there were enough of them to equal Goble in weight.

The statement is not flattering to Goble.

Chandler uses a mixture of street language and colorful variations on street idiom that he makes up himself.

8. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    Yes, I'd read "frog spawn" as tadpoles. But I read the whole phrase as meaning "you act as if you're very tough," which doesn't directly connect with "you can beat up a lot of tadpoles" to me. I suppose that making that seem like an accomplishment—or just the oddness of the image—adds to the mockery.

9. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    Yes, I took it as mockery, or sarcasm.

10. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Sorry to disappoint those who think that frog spawn is tadpoles. Female frogs lay eggs,
    lots of them. Usually these are laid in water. Then her mate spews sperm over the eggs to fertilize them. Whether you prefer to think of frog spawn as the eggs, the sperm, or all of it together, the tadpoles don't develop for a while.

The gist of the insult is that Goble is told he acts as if he (or she?) were strong enough to best a pile of gelatinous stuff in battle.

11. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    Yup, so it is.

The "swarming brood; numerous progeny" definition would apply only if we weren't talking about amphibians (Dictionary.com). I didn't know about that more specific meaning.

12. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    A standard expression describing toughness is "able to lick his weight in wildcats" -- that is, if the man weighs 200 pounds, he is able to face a number of ferocious wildcats who together weight 200 pounds and yet still defeat them. By turning the usual "wildcats" (or "alligators", or something else equally fierce) into the completely harmless "frogspawn" turns the description from admiration into mockery, as cuchu notes.