Spanish, Chile
    Quisiera saber cómo se dice licuadora en inglés

2. Irethtook

Irethtook Senior Member

3. Conchita57

Conchita57 Senior Member

Madrid, Spain
    Spanish - Spain/French - Switzerland
    Si es el electrodoméstico que se usa para extraer zumo y que retiene toda la pulpa dentro, en inglés se llama "liquidizer".

4. Olmos18 Senior Member

USA
    Juicer perhaps?

5. happyforever New Member

Venezuela
    Spanish
    Licuadara en Ingles es: blender.

6. Cubanboy

Cubanboy Senior Member

Cuba
    Spanish
    liquidizer y también he visto blender

7. Conchita57

Conchita57 Senior Member

Madrid, Spain
    Spanish - Spain/French - Switzerland
    Un "blender" or "mixer" mezcla, no extrae zumo. En español sería una batidora.

8. Cubanboy

Cubanboy Senior Member

Cuba
    Spanish
  9. juicer or blender

Where do they use liquidizer?

10. Cubanboy

Cubanboy Senior Member

Cuba
    Spanish
    Sí, aquí le decimos a blender: batidora

11. Olmos18 Senior Member

USA
    I understand that a blender is used for general mixing, chopping and perhaps ice-crushing. A juicer is for extracting the juice from fruits and veggies and leaves the pulp behind. Personally, I've never heard anyone use the term liquidizer but would certainly understand it.

12. Cubanboy

Cubanboy Senior Member

Cuba
    Spanish
  13. fsabroso

fsabroso Moderadiólogo

South Texas
    Perú / Castellano
    Hola,

Licuadora = blender, [SIZE=-1]An electric device used to liquefy food for soups, drinks, purées and sauces. Also known as a liquidiser.

Saludos!
    [/SIZE]

14. The appliance my Spaniard inlaws have, that they call a licuadora, is what we would call a blender, in the U.S. And, you'd be hard pressed to find a blender that doesn't have at least a 'liquefy' setting.

They say it's okay to call it a batidora, but they reserve it more properly for the euro-style 'stick' blender/mixer that goes down inside the container.

15. SmallJosie Senior Member

Barcelona
    English
    As far as I know:

A liquidizer is a larger appliance where you put the goods in and it chops, mixes or does whatever.

A blender is your typical "mini-pymer".

I am sure that if you google, you will see it for yourselves. I was never any good at explaining.

16. A liquidizer is a larger appliance where you put the goods in and it chops, mixes or does whatever.

This description sounds like what we would call a 'food-processor' in the U.S...a machine with interchangle blades / impellers / etc.

Juicer / extractor: separates juice from pulp.
    Blender: Does less than a food-processor, more than a braun-style hand-blender.
    Mixer: Has two blades, for cake mixes etc.
    Liquidizer: I have not heard this one. Sounds like the guy who sells all your stuff when your company declares bankruptcy.

17. Moritzchen Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    Spanish, USA
    We call this a blender

18. Olmos18 Senior Member

USA
    In the US we call the "mini-pymer" a hand-held blender.

19. So, for this particular 'licuadora', the type of appliance that it is would determine the word you would use to call it in the U.S.

But the most generic term is, "Blender."

20. roxcyn

roxcyn Senior Member

USA
    American English [AmE]
  21. i_speak_spanish Senior Member

Peru
    Peru
  22. Yes, your links show nearly 600 images of liquadizers, mostly from euro and aussy sites, and a lot of album art for the british band Jesus Jones.

Do the same search for 'blender' and you get nearly 600,000 images, most of the ones for appliances come from mainland U.S.

All I can do is recommend to the non-english speaker, who is going to be conversing with an english speaker in the U.S., about 'licaudoras' is to use the word, "Blender" It is more generic, and easier for us to understand.

Unless you're talking specifically about making margaritas, in which case, invite me over, i'll bring the "margarita machine" (which I call a blender, if there are any Mormons around.)

23. i_speak_spanish Senior Member

Peru
    Peru
    Ok.. I should have written something..

It seems to be that both are the same thing. BUT you might want to use the more common word. That to is blender. Also the number of images for bender and the opinions here, supports it.

24. Baika New Member

Valdivia
    Spanish, Chile
    Muchas gracias a todos, me ha quedado muy claro.

25. evitap Senior Member

Spanish-Colombia
    En Colombia le llamamos una batidora. (Diferente de la licuadora (blender))

26. not me Senior Member

Sierra Morena, Andalucía
    English International
    Voto juicer.