Liebestraum

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by greyeyedgoddess, Nov 5, 2006.

1. greyeyedgoddess New Member

English (American/Canadian) and Chinese (Mandarin)
    Hi everyone, new here to the forums...I actually don't take German, but I am currently playing a piece by Franz Liszt called "Liebestraum", and I am clueless on how it is pronounced. Now I read that the title is German for "love of dreams"...and based on that, I'm hoping if someone could help me w/ the pronunciation.

For the first part, the "Liebe", I am rather clueless...as for the "straum", should it be a "strom" with the vowel sound like the English "home", or should the vowel sound be pronounced like the one in "down". Should the m even be pronounced?

Thanks in advance.

2. spielenschach Senior Member

Portugal . Portuguese
    ['li:bStraum]

3. Jana337

Jana337 Senior Member

čeština
    Nice but the question was: What is the pronunciation of Liebestraum? ;)

Welcome, greyeyedgoddess!

The pronunciation is like this, roughly. It is spoken by a machine but I think it is very decent. Should the link expire, click here, type in your word and choose Klara, German.

In Liebestraum, the "s" is a binding element, not a part of the second word. Dream - traum.

You are right with "down", "ie" is like "ee", and the "e" in "bes" is very indistinct.

Hope this helps. :)

Jana

4. greyeyedgoddess New Member

Wow that was fast...I never knew the forum was so active :)

Thanks very much. So is the "liebe" something along the lines of love and the "traum" dream?

5. EvilWillow Senior Member

German (Germany)
    Indeed! :thumbsup:

I would translate Liebestraum with "dream of love", not "love of dreams".

6. greyeyedgoddess New Member

Oh yes that's what I meant :eek: ...love of dreams definitely changes the meaning around.