1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. pour_pousser_la_Méshémée Senior Member

Newfoundland, Canada
    Canada, English
    In English, this is a phrase you would use after something tragic has happened to reassure oneself that life is still going to be ok.

"The earthquake flattened my house, killed everyone in my immediate and extended family, and rendered me a paraplegic, but, somehow, life goes on."

What do the French say for this phrase? Thanks!

2. david314

david314 Senior Member

Clayton, Missouri
    American English
    Perhaps you would like to check out my signature (below), attributed to King Solomon ;).

3. Albert 50 Senior Member

Montreal QC and Dallas TX
    Canada: French and English (bilingual)
    The sort of nostalgic, philosophical phrase that comes to mind is "..... la vie continue!".

There was even a song by this name quite a few years ago (Was it Mireille Mathieu or Annie Girardot that sang it?). A sad song with a plaintive "I'll move on" feel to it...

Albert

4. nichec

nichec Senior Member

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    Maybe this will do :
    "Ça ira."

5. jjlew922 New Member

USA
    I've heard "la vie s'arrete pas" litterally meaning life doesn't stop itself.

6. viera Senior Member

Paris suburb
    English/French/Slovak
    mais, d'une façon ou d'une autre, la vie continue

7. notdominique Senior Member

Paris
    France, French
    Of course, "la vie continue" is the best translation.

There is another saying : "demain est un autre jour". It would be used in less dramatic a context, though.

8. david314

david314 Senior Member

Clayton, Missouri
    American English
    Tomorrow is another day. Indeed, it is. ;)

9. Periscope

Periscope Senior Member

France
    France / French
    Exactly. By saying demain est un autre jour it introduces hope and this woman doesn't seem to expect any change about her situation, she says : but, somehow, life goes on.

So I think : mais la vie (doit) continue(r) is more accurate in this case.

10. omahieu Senior Member

Belgium
    Belgium and French
    "La vie continue", simplement.

11. notdominique Senior Member

Paris
    France, French
    I think it's always most interesting to widen the range of expressions that can be used in a context, and to work around them.

Then, in my opinion, "la vie (ne) s'arrête pas" would imply more or less : "don't make such a fuss about it". Which makes it inappropriate when you refer to a truly tragic event.

On the other hand, in the situation as described, even though "la vie continue" is an accurate and concise translation, the idea would probably be in fact : "il faudra bien, de toute façon, que la vie continue", as some of you have suggested. Such nuance can be conveyed by the tone of the voice.

I hope I am not just repeating what has been said already :).

12. notdominique Senior Member

Paris
    France, French
    Makes me think of another song : Tout va très bien, Madame la Marquise !

13. wwiras New Member

Malay
    Is it right if we translate "Life goes on" as "La vie va sur"?

14. Fix You Junior Member

French
    wwiras it's incorrect the translation is "La vie continue" "la vie va sur" is a word to word translation wich means nothing in French. :)