1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. Niña Morena Junior Member

England
    Español, México
    Hi!
    I want to know if this sentence has sense and if the grammar is correct:
    " Sometimes I wonder if I've changed lifes"
    "sometimes i wonder if i've changed lives"
    The translation in spanish is:
    algunas veces me pregunto si he cambiado vidas
    Thanks a lot

2. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    "Lifes" no existe.

3. Niña Morena Junior Member

England
    Español, México
    Thanks a lot :)

4. Ms Missy Senior Member

U.S. Virgin Islands
    USA English
    Re: "Lifes" no existe. The only way to use this word would be as a singular possessive meaning "life has." Ex:

1. His life's changed a lot since he married and settled down.

5. jónico

jónico Senior Member

Madrid
    en-us
    How about the plural of " a still life" (the genre of paintings)?
    Example: Van Gogh painted several interesting still lifes in his lifetime.

Or would any of you feel comfortable saying "still lives" in the sentence above?

And then there's the half-life of a radioactive isotope...but there maybe I would use the plural "half-lives"...

W'ere here at debating this at work, wondering how applicable the analogy is with mouse-mice (the rodent) and mouse-mouses (computers)...

6. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    But lifes and life's is not the same, as I'm sure you realise. In this case it is not a possessive construction, just a contraction of has. The same could be done with is.
    Her life's very difficult. = life is

Answering another post, I agree we would say still-lifes when talking about painting. The other example was too complicated for me!

PS. I've just realised the thread is very old, so I suppose the initial doubt was solved a long time ago.

Interesting question about mouses/mice. I'll see if I can find any trustworthy references.

7. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
  8. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
  9. jónico

jónico Senior Member

Madrid
    en-us
    Thanks inib--I've enjoyed reading both threads--specially the long one. I love how inconclusive it has been over the years, with some people adamantly in favor of mouses, some in favor of mice, and some who catch themselves switching sides.
    One of the posters brought up "still life-still lifes" and nobody batted an eye. Is it that clear? I agree that "still lifes" is the correct form, but I can't help but think it still gives one pause before actually deciding on which one is correct (like the mouse-mice quandry). The half-life of an isotope gives me less pause: I go to "half-lives of isotopes" pretty easily without thinking much about it. For "a cat with 9 lives" there's no hesitation at all. It makes me think there's a spectrum of regular <-> irregular on which each usage fall somewhere, rather than there being a strict and mutually exclusive dichotomy.
    Can anyone think of any other headless usages of "life" besides "still life"?

10. ArT4eVa New Member

english
    Ok... What about the use of "lifes" in this poem? Is it used correctly?!

Today, I am promising myself to be the best me that I can be... to accept my flaws; to be silly; to laugh alot; to let myself feel angry; to let it go; to cry without shame; and to allow myself to feel loved. I will remind myself that I deserve it everyday. Today, I will try to be the best me that I can be and in those times of hardship... rather than fight the storm, I will allow myself to go with lifes flow; I will accept that this is the best I can be... for today. ~A.R.T.

11. vector313

vector313 Junior Member

Manta, Ecuador
    English -United States
    Well I work in IT and I can tell you that there is no such thing as "mouses." The correct terminology would be "mouse devices."

12. vector313

vector313 Junior Member

Manta, Ecuador
    English -United States
    " will allow myself to go with lifes flow" is incorrect.
    As stated by Missy above, in this context you are referring to the singular possessive, which would be apostrophe S "life's"

13. Jim2996 Senior Member

Boston, MA
    American English
    No, someone copied it wrong. It should be life's flow, a possessive meaning the flow of life.

14. JerseyRich

JerseyRich Senior Member

Hola Niña Morena,
    Just a correction in your question.
    We don't say "I want to know if this sentence has:cross: sense and if the grammar is correct"
    We say " I want to know if this sentence makes:tick: sense and if the grammar is correct":)

Richard