Light bulb keeps flickering

Discussion in 'Suomi (Finnish)' started by Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Extra Virgin Olive Oil Senior Member

I want to express that when I turn on a light bulb in my toilet, it keeps flickering for one minute before it is "on", and wonders if it's time to change it.

Kun sytytän kynttilä vessassa minun asunnossa, hehkulamppu lepattaa yhdeksi minuutiksi ennen se on päälle (?) Olisiko vaihton aika?
  2. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Hi EVOO,

We discussed this question (how to translate "a flickering lightbulb") about a year ago -- see here. However, I would change one thing that I said in that thread: instead of lepattaa, I would use vilkkua to translate "flicker". The verbs väristä and välkkyä are also sometimes used, but they don't seem to be as common as vilkkua.

As far as your whole sentence, I would say,

Kun sytytin valot asuntoni vessassa, huomasin, että hehkulamppu vilkkuu noin minuutin ennen kuin se pysyy päällä. Olisiko aika vaihtaa se?
  3. Spongiformi Senior Member

Yeah. "Lepattaa" is best reserved for lighting methods based on open flame (such as candles, torches). "Väristä" is, at least in my opinion, small fluctuations in the light emission intensity rather than sheer, easily perceivable on/off changes, which would be "välkkyä" or "vilkkua". Old fluorescent tubes sometimes start to produce unstable, flickering light (before they might even start to blink on and off), and that's what I'd call "väristä".