1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

lightning ln a bottle

Discussion in 'English Only' started by sinospeaker, Dec 15, 2012.

1. sinospeaker Junior Member

USA
    English, Chinese
    What does “lightning in a bottle” mean?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012
  2. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
  3. sinospeaker Junior Member

USA
    English, Chinese
    A commercial production is the meeting point between a wide range of philosophies, personalities and entities in the marketing and advertising universe. The best end product --funny, engaging, beloved and talked-about TV ads -- are the result of a lightning-in-a-bottle moment.
    Source: 'Five Things Marketing Execs Need to Know About Making Commercials' (Marketing Newshub)

"<< -- excessive quotation deleted -- >> I know there's more money and bigger budgets now, but they were better times. You don't get those lightning-in-a-bottle directors you used to stumble across: Ken Loach, Alan Clarke. And writers who understood texture and grit, like Peter McDougall [A Sense of Freedom, Just Another Saturday]: fantastic writer, kept a crate of brown ale under his desk. We stretched every penny. << -- excessive quotation deleted -- >>"
    Source: 'Martin Campbell: Living on the edge' (theguardian online)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  4. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    I think this may be a misuse of the phrase as I can't really make much sense of it.
    Here's an article on the phrase from World Wide Words: lightning in a bottle

5. Miss Julie

Miss Julie Senior Member

Chicago metro area
    English-U.S.
    A Google search yields many results, including this one: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lightning in a bottle

Capturing something powerful and elusive and then being able to hold it and show it to the world.

Performing a rare feat.

A moment of creative brilliance.

Coming up with that idea was like catching lightning in a bottle.