1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

like a lunatic bobbing

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by shirl81, Feb 18, 2009.

1. shirl81 Junior Member

Italy - Italian
    I'm having some troubles to translate this phrase even if I got the sense :

"The gate kept banging open and shut like a lunatic bobbing and shaking his head senselessly"

"Il cancello continuò a sbattere, aprendosi e chiudendosi come un caschetto impazzito e scuotendo la testa senza senso"...

Now bobbing is the continuous form of to bob.. to bob means to shake up and down, right.. a bob is also an hair-style. The concept is that the gate seems like a crazy head that shakes, but I'm not sure whether bobbing is just the verb or another american form to say bob (the hair-style).

Can you help me?

Thanks indeed once again!

Shirl

2. vale_ca Senior Member

Italy, Milan
    Italiano
    Io penso voglia dire "come un pazzo (lunatic) che scuote e sbatte la testa..."

3. Azazel81 Senior Member

Milan
    Italy - Italian
    Hi,

I definitely think that "lunatic" is meant to say "mentally insane" here (and not only here).

So this gate kept banging open like the head of someone totally insane... you know.. they way lunatics shake and bang their heads.

4. shirl81 Junior Member

Italy - Italian
    great! I don't know for whatever reason, I hadn't thought as bobbing like an adjective and lunatic as noun, but that's the most reasonable thing to conceive.
    Thanks my dear friends.

5. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    Hmmm...
    "lunatic" is a noun here, and "bobbing" is the verb to describe the movement of the lunatic's head.

Another example:
    Like a lunatic eating his plate of food.