1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

like a member of the family

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by k_georgiadis, Mar 28, 2007.

1. k_georgiadis

k_georgiadis Senior Member

NJ, USA
    English (AE)
    "Charlie is such an old friend that he is considered a member of the family."

Membro della famiglia sounds stiff and, in this context, probably sounds funny to the Italian ear:) . Uno di noi? Uno dei nostri?

2. niklavjus Senior Member

Italiano (Italia)
    "Membro della famiglia" and "uno dei nostri" are not extactly the same.
    I think the first is more suitable.

3. k_georgiadis

k_georgiadis Senior Member

NJ, USA
    English (AE)
    If you think that "membro della famiglia" doesn't sound a little "official", I'll go with it. Thank you!

4. malva7 Senior Member

Milan
    Italy - Italian
    Charlie è amico di così lunga data da essere considerato di famiglia (o parte della famiglia)

5. sam1978

sam1978 Senior Member

Genoa/Genova
    italy - italiano
    I add that "membro della famiglia" doesn't sound funny to an Italian ear

6. unam New Member

Italy, Italian
    "membro della famiglia" sounds a bit formal. "Uno di famiglia" is a common idiom to express a familiarity like this, I think. It's ok in both spoken and written Italian.

7. joanvillafane Senior Member

U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English

NEW QUESTION

Hi, I'd like to know if I can use "membro della famiglia" to talk about a new baby. I'm sending a photo and I'd like to say, "Here is the newest member of the B family."
    Ecco l'ultimo membro della famiglia B.

Not sure if it works in this context. Your corrections and suggestions are welcome.

8. Pietruzzo Senior Member

Italian
    Ed ecco l'ultimo arrivato nella famiglia B.

9. Lorena1970

Lorena1970 Senior Member

Italy, Italiano
    Or " Ecco qua l'ultimo arrivato della famiglia B"

10. joanvillafane Senior Member

U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English
    Thanks, Lorena. I see you changed "nella" to "della." So, what about "membro della famiglia" - is this not something you say about a new baby?

11. Lorena1970

Lorena1970 Senior Member

Italy, Italiano
    "membro DELLA famiglia" is more common, in my view. To me "NELLA famiglia" sounds a bit weird, though it isn't really incorrect.

12. joanvillafane Senior Member

U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English
    Hi and thanks, again. May I pursue this a little further?

about the della/nella question - Pietruzzo said nella (post # 8) and you said della (post 9).
    But more specifically, I was asking (in my post #10) about why you both chose "l'ultimo arrivato" instead of using the word "membro." Is there something about "membro della famiglia" that is not appropriate for a new baby?

13. Scaramouche84

Scaramouche84 Junior Member

Rome
    Italian
    It's not inappropriate, maybe just a bit too formal

14. Pietruzzo Senior Member

Italian
    That's almost the same. If you say "nella", you'll consider "arrivato" as a verb(the new one who's arrived); on the other hand, if you use "della" you'll consider "arrivato " as a noun(the new arrival). Apart from those grammatical subtleties it's all a question of personal taste.

That wouldn't be my first choice but it's okay, after all. Just remember to write "il nuovo membro", not"l'ultimo membro". The latter would sound as there won't be any other members in the future.

15. joanvillafane Senior Member

U.S., New Jersey
    U.S. English
    Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking of "ultimo" as "the latest" (not the last!) but I get your point. Thanks again.