1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

like a nobleman who has been handed a turd

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by minoski, Jul 2, 2008.

1. minoski

minoski Senior Member

Milano
    Italian
    Hi guys :)
    I need the opinion of a native, here, please.

What would you infer from this sentence?

--Wonderful. You look like a nobleman who has just been handed a turd.

This is said by a gladiator to a friend (a novice to this world) who's just been given a new sword.

Would you imply that he's clumsy with it? That he handles it like it were a... :warn:turd? Cause if I say the same thing in Italian, I guess it would seem just a weird way to randomly insert a swear word in the dialogue and I'm not confortable with it. Have you got any ideas on how else I could say it? But first of all, what do you think he's saying?!

c.

2. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    I would say he feels very uncomfortable with it, doesn't know what to do with it.

3. minoski

minoski Senior Member

Milano
    Italian
    Thanks Charles.
    Another question: would you consider it like a normal (funny, ironic) expression, or it sounds a bit weird (too strong) to you too (in which case I would keep it, 'cause it would mean that the author meant it to be like this)?
    c.

4. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    I think it's meant to be funny.
    The expression is generally used to describe someone's disdain. Could that be the case here? It's a bit difficult to tell without more context, which is the reason I suggested uncomfortableness (a more general feeling).

5. lawnmower

lawnmower Senior Member

Milano/Brianza
    ITALIAN - Italy
    Ciao,
    I found it very 'dry' but not 'unpolite' or too strong... he starts the sentence with 'Wonderful' and makes it sounds quite hironic.
    Am I off track?
    Thanks!

6. minoski

minoski Senior Member

Milano
    Italian
    :D
    No, your right, it's meant to be funny, as the two guys are friends and they're kind of preparing a show, so the gladiator deliberately gives a huge, huge sword to his friend. I was just thinking on how to keep the irony in Italian, but to do that I needed to understand what a native would infer from the sentence, so that I could try to reach the same effect playing a bit with words.
    Thanks everybody, I'll work on it ;)
    c.