Like I said - As I said

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Solitario, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Solitario Senior Member

Perú Spanish
    Are these correct? I remember having seen both expressions. Which one should I use and in what situations?
    Also which do I use with these verbs?:
    point out
    state
    declare
    imagine
    view

2. gotitadeleche Senior Member

Texas, U.S.A.
    U.S.A. English
    As I said and like I said can be used almost interchangeably.

As/like I pointed out
    As/like I stated
    As/like I declared
    As/like I imagined
    As/like I viewed - this one sounds strange. I can't think when I would use it.

3. jacinta Senior Member

California
    USA English
    These words wouldn't normally be used with As I or Like I.

View: This is how we would use this word:
    From my point of view
    As I see it

Declared:
    As it was declared in the Bill of Rights,...

To declare isn't a usual word in spoken English for to say or to state. It is used to make an official or authoritarian statement.

4. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng

Hola Solitario!

I was taught at school that in UK English you must use "as" when what follows is a clause. Like your example.

As I said, you have to study harder to pass your exam.

BUT, in US they use "like".

As I pointed out, you have to study harder to pass your exam.

From OED >> point out: [REPORTING VERB] say something to make someone aware of a fact or circumstance: [with CLAUSE] she pointed out that his van had been in the car park all day | [with DIRECT SPEECH] ‘Most of the people round here are very poor,’ I pointed out.

From OED >>> state: 1*[REPORTING VERB] express something definitely or clearly in speech or writing: [with CLAUSE] the report stated that more than 51 per cent of voters failed to participate | [with DIRECT SPEECH] ‘Money hasn't changed me,’ she stated firmly | [with OBJ.] people will be invited to state their views.