Like none Other, Like No Other

Discussion in 'English Only' started by HSS, Nov 12, 2010.

1. HSS

HSS Senior Member

Sendai, Japan
    Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
    I was just thinking of the sentence 'The experience is like none other!' This could be used for an advertisement or on a TV commercial for a theme park or the like. Could 'The experience is like no other!' mean the same? I think it could, but I'm not too sure.

Hiro

2. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Colorado
    English-US
    It sure could. I prefer "no other".

3. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Use no, not none.

Who's our Mystery English Speaker? Why, it's none other than Copyright! He is like no other.

4. northerncity Junior Member

Guangzhou
    chinese-mainland
    "no other" is more simple, you can save two characters in your ad or commercial.That means you can save money,sometimes.
    But I think that the pronunciation of "none" is stronger than "no",in terms of that,does"none" will attract more attention than "no"? I doubt it.could anybody explain?

5. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    I don't think you can decide between none and no simply based on "strength of word." You need to use language that is expected by the audience. For me, that would be "like no other."

6. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    'No' is used as determiner of a noun head; 'none' is a head in its own right (i.e. used when there is no noun). We have no cheese; we have none. In this case, however, it's complicated by the fact that the adjective 'other' can also be a noun. There is no other = there is no other one. There is one other; there are three others. (It has a plural so it's a noun here.)

'None other' is used with 'than': It is none other than Copyright. 'None' is the head and 'other than Copyright' is a modifying adjective phrase.

7. northerncity Junior Member

Guangzhou
    chinese-mainland
    Thank you for your simple and helpful explain,I get it now.