1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

lint footprint

Discussion in 'English Only' started by perpend, Oct 4, 2013.

1. perpend Senior Member

American English
    He has a large lint footprint.

This is my own sentence.

This is referring to someone who produces a lot of lint in the dryer (and never empties it).

Do both BrE and AmE speakers understand this? It's a bit of a pun on "carbon footprint".

Or, is it too much of a stretch? Thanks for any input.

2. heypresto

heypresto Senior Member

South East England
    English - England
    :D It has an amusing ring to it, but I think it's probably a bit of a stretch. I can see how it might work within a family, say, but not so well in the 'real world'. But who knows, with persistent use it may just catch on.

3. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    It's too much of a stretch for me. (For a start I'm not even convinced that 'someone' can produce a lot of lint in a dryer ...)

4. WyomingSue Senior Member

Cheyenne, WY
    English--USA
    Ha, very good. Reminds me a bit of Pigpen in Charlie Brown (although his was dust).

5. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    Dryer lint is primarily fibers from clothing. Are you trying to describe someone who wears a lot of terry cloth, cotton, and other fabrics that tend to breakdown? :confused:

6. Mahantongo

Mahantongo Senior Member

English (U.S.)
    I'm afraid I concur with those who say it is too much of a stretch. I think the analogy doesn't work, probably because the lint is contained in one place, rather than distributed in the atmosphere.

Really? Well, when I ran Grandma through the last time, I was surprised at just how much lint there was in the basket afterwards ... :D

7. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    :D:D:D

8. Edinburgher Senior Member

Scotland
    German/English bilingual
    I suspect it has less to do with the choice of fabric, between varieties which shed a lot of fluff and those which don't, and more with people who use their laundry facilities to excess, such as by changing their clothes often and then not wearing them again before putting them in the wash. Or perhaps it's to do with using the dryer when they could instead just hang their things on a line to dry.

In this case, given how much energy dryers consume, the person with the large lint footprint would at the same time also have a large carbon footprint. This would nicely round off the pun.

(I don't have a dryer. Mine is a lint-neutral household. I have a zero lint footprint. -- Check out google images for "clothes pulley".)

9. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    There's a guy in our building who has one of those large lint footprints, because he has a large, hairy cat. Every time he's been using the dryer and forgets to clean out the lint filter, it's brimming with both fabric lint and cat hair.

But seriously, no, it doesn't really work, since "footprint" has now become a standard for the relative room (on floor, desk, table, etc.) taken up by a piece of stationary equipment.

10. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    It would probably be a good joke among environmentalists or among friends who had been discussing carbon footprints and who knew the person involved. Outside of those contexts I don't think it would work.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  11. perpend Senior Member

American English
    Thanks everyone! Good and interesting input. This has given me a new perspective on both lint as we know it, not to mention footprints.

Ha to you to WyomingSue! I can just imagine Pigpen's large dust footprint. Good visual and good analogy.

Poor Grandma, Mahantongo and Evie, though I did chuckle, but felt bad at the same time.

I like Edinburgher's #8 analysis. But if you have a zero lint footprint, where does your lint go, Edinburger? It must at minimum go down the drain into the sewer system. I think I'm thinking too much.

The cat story is hilarious, Parla. Thanks.

So, I got more to the bottom of this, this evening. Said person A) does not empty the lint filter and B) overloads the dryer.

I did not realize this until tonight. Do certain generations not even know there is a lint filter on a dryer? He's relatively young.

Overloading a drying is also a no-no, as far as lint is concerned. So, as far as I can tell at this point, I may have to schedule a lint summit and work out the agenda.