liquor = líquido cefalorraquídeo?

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by frangs, Sep 28, 2013.

1. frangs Senior Member

Spanish Spain
    Creo que "liquor" se usa de forma genérica para referirse a cualquier líquido o fluido del cuerpo pero también específicamente para el "líquido cefalorraquídeo". ¿Puede ser este el caso? Aquí pongo algunos ejemplos. Gracias de antemano.

- "The Met-ENK immune reactivity in plasma of patients suffering from a brain infarctus in the acute phase and diabetes patients with symptomatic myocardiac ischemia is significantly increased as compared to healthy control individuals, as well as in plasma and liquor of patients suffering from migraine and headache and in liquor of schizophrenia patients."

- "In Parkinson's disease the content of Met-ENK-Arg-Gly-Leu in liquor of patients is significantly decreased as compared to healthy control individuals."

- "In healthy individuals liquor contains 150 to 450 [micro]g of protein per ml, 83 % are formed in the serum and only 17 % in the brain."

- "The highest liquor-serum ratio known so far is that of prostaglandin-D-Synthetase having a value of 33."

- "As the concentration of proenkephalin like proenkephalin-fp is higher in liquor than in plasma, an increase of proenkephalin in plasma indicates the damage or loss of function of the blood brain barrier: the liquor diffuses into plasma leading to an increase in proenkephalin concentration in plasma."

2. bicontinental Senior Member

U.S.A.
    English (US), Danish, bilingual
    Hola,
    ‘líquido cefalorraquídeo’ is ‘cerebrospinal fluid’ in English, commonly abbreviated CSF. I realize that the Latin term is ‘liquor cerebrospinalis’, but I’ve never heard the word ‘liquor’ used in (Am)English about anything other than alcoholic beverages, [although I do see that Merriam-Webster lists “a watery solution of a drug” as another definition of the word (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/liquor)]
    I suspect your examples are from English translations of foreign texts/articles? I would use CSF in each of your examples. We use 'fluid' in the context of body fluids in general, pericardial fluid, peritoneal fluid, amniotic fluid, intracellular fluid and so on.
    Bic.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  3. frangs Senior Member

Spanish Spain
    Yes, I understand what you say. I have been investigating about the use of the word "liquor" in this field and it's not usual at all.
    That's why I posted a few examples, I am not an expert but I have the feeling that, if u change "liquor" by "CSF" (as you pointed out) the whole text would make sense. Not only that, CSF is maybe the only proper option. What do you think?

The authors of the paper are from Germany and I have just realized that ‘cerebrospinal fluid’ is "Liquor cerebrospinalis" in German (according to Wikipedia). This would support a wrong use of the word "liquor" in English.

4. bicontinental Senior Member

U.S.A.
    English (US), Danish, bilingual
    Yes, please use 'CSF'/'cerebrospinal fluid' in English and not 'liquor'.:)

The medical language is of course heavily rooted in Latin (and Greek) and in several European languages incl. German, the Latin terminology is preserved and used without changes in anatomical names and in diagnostic terminology… where we use partially translated terminology in English, [e.g. infarctus myocardii (English: myocardial infarct), defectus septi atriorum cordis (atrial septal defect, ASD)] etc. This is likely why they’ve used the Latin word for ‘fluid’, i.e. ‘liquor’.

Bic.

5. reflejo Senior Member

Spanish / Spain
    Es un arcaismo y una expresión muy latina. En España a veces utilizamos licuoral para referirlos a aspectos del líquido cefalorraquídeo. En inglés médico actual es muy infrecuente, a menos que lo escriba un europeo. Desde luego en todos los ejemplos se refiere al LCR
    Un saludo,

6. frangs Senior Member

Spanish Spain
    Gracias por la ayuda.
    Finalmente decidí usar "fluido", sin más, igual que el autor usaba "liquor", sin dar otra especificación. Dejé la primera vez "liquor" entre paréntesis. Yo también creo que se refería al "líquido cefalorraquídeo", pero como no era evidente en todos los casos opté por mantener más o menos la misma ambigüedad que el original.