Live and let live for the depth of life not the length of life is what matters

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by couchtateo80, Sep 6, 2005.

1. couchtateo80 New Member

united states, english
    It would be very helpful if someone could help me translate this into Italian. I know it's pretty lengthy.

2. disegno

disegno Senior Member

San Francisco
    United States English
    live and let live for the depth of life not the length of life is what matters

cerco io...

vivere e lasciare vivere, perchè la profondità della vita, non la lunghezza, è quella che è importante

3. moodywop Banned

Southern Italy
    Italian - Italy
    Very good, disegno! Just two minor corrections - la sua durata sounds better than la lunghezza here( just my own subjective stylistic preference) and quella should be quello/ciò.

This saying is usually used in the imperative (vivi e lascia vivere) but the infinitive you used has a nice ring to it. I actually prefer it.

Carlo

4. Silvia

Silvia Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    Hi couchtateo80,

welcome to the WR Forums :)

Live and let live for the depth of life not the length of life is what matters
    Vivi e lascia vivere, perché è la profondità della vita non la sua lunghezza che conta.

What's the phrase for? Please specify.

Personally, I don't like the word lunghezza, because we never use it for the word life, we rather use durata. But then the comparison is not as clear as with the word lunghezza.

5. Alfry

Alfry Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    I'd rather use intensità instead of profondità.

6. moodywop Banned

Southern Italy
    Italian - Italy
    Alfry

Evidently we think alike :) . I also thought of intensità, which I,too, prefer to profondità but due to insecure translator syndrome(a terminal illness for a translator) I'm always worried about straying too far from the original:eek:

Carlo

7. Alfry

Alfry Senior Member

Italy
    Italian
    I've been saying it out loud while trying to "visualise" it in my head. But after a little while It sounded odd to my ears.
    Profondità could easily be used for a thought.
    Anyway the concept is perfecty clear.

8. couchtateo80 New Member

united states, english
    thank you so much! my friend wants to get it tattooed on her. thanks again
    -ashley