l'm going to make some shoes out of you!

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by lorenama, Mar 19, 2010.

1. lorenama Member

A guy wants hit another one. He start boxing and says: "Come on. l'm going to make some shoes out of you!" What's means this sentence?
  2. entrapta

entrapta Senior Member

Non lo so di preciso ma presumo sia "ti ridurrò in polpette" o una cosa simile.
  3. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australian English
    Lorenama, I've not heard the expression 'to make shoes out of someone' but I presume it's an extension of the idiom, 'to skin someone alive', which means to punish someone severely (you can make shoes out of the skins of certain animals).
  4. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Immagino che sia qualcosa che viene usata (in modo figurato, ovviamente) per dire che lui (la persona che la dice) vincerà, e ridurrerà l'altra persona in nero, ecc.
    Non a niente a che fare con le scarpe.
  5. lorenama Member

Immaginavo qualcosa del genere. Io ho scritto: "ti cambio i connotati".
    Thanks everyone.
  6. Bookmom

Bookmom Senior Member

Of course there is the meaning of beating someone to a pulp, reducing an opponent to shoe leather, but there is also the idea of turning him into a pair of shoes by virtue of walking all over him. It's imaginative and descriptive, I like it. Far better than, I'm going to mop the floor with your face :(
  7. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    I agree it does sound better, but meanings aren't can't determined by how preferable they are to others on translation websites (unfortunately! :D)
    At times it would be crude, in either sense, I think all our renderings are virtually synonymous to the core meaning of man beat other man very much. (like some Chomskyian deep-structure analysis etc)
  8. Bookmom

Bookmom Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010