Lo inserto y relacionado

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by Breadstick, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Breadstick

Breadstick Senior Member

Mexico City
    British English
    Dear all,

I'm translating a legal document from a Mexican notary from "legalese" into English (I say that because it's clearly not anything like Spanish ;)), and I'm stuck on this sentence, which seems to be a fairly common legal expression in (Mexican) Spanish, but for which I can't find any equivalent in English. It might just be the midnight syndrome (when the translator's brain mysteriously stops working, until his or her next cup of coffee), or it might be because I'm not a legal translator, but anyway... The part I'm having difficulty with is underlined below. The rest is just for the context:

"YO, EL NOTARIO, DOY FE:
    III.- De que he tenido a la vista los documentos de que se trata y que lo inserto y relacionado concuerda con sus originales a los que me remito."

My attempt, which an English lawyer would probably laugh at, is as follows:

"I, THE NOTARY, HEREBY ATTEST:
    III.- That I have personally seen the documents in question and that the related appendices coincide with the originals that I have referred to."

Can anyone come up with a better suggestion, and put me out of my midnight syndrome? I'm going for a cup of coffee. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Colin

2. jackaustralia Senior Member

Australia English
    "faithfully reproduce the originals" is one way of saying it that it is almost plain English. I am not sure why you say "appendices." Is this clear from the overall context?

3. Breadstick

Breadstick Senior Member

Mexico City
    British English
    Yes, what this refers to in simple terms is that the notary has seen the documents (and their photocopies) and that he attests that they are one and the same. These are indeed the appendices to the notaried letter. I like the idea of faithfully reproducing the originals. Would " That I have personally seen the documents in question and that the related appendices faithfully reproduce the originals that I have referred to." sound good to you? More importantly, do you think that actually translates the Spanish text?

Cheers

Breadstick

4. Taycaro Senior Member

Chihuahua, Mexico
    Mexican Spanish
    Yo creo que la siguiente es una traducción más fiel.

That what has been inserted and declared herein faithfully matches the originals that I have before me and to which I refer.

5. Breadstick

Breadstick Senior Member

Mexico City
    British English
    Me parece buena la sugerencia, Taycaro, así que muchas gracias.

Saludos

Breadstick

6. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    FWIW, in AmEng, that would be translated into "is/are a true copy of the originals."

In AmEng, we would probably say "that I have viewed the documents ...."

7. Breadstick

Breadstick Senior Member

Mexico City
    British English
    Muchas gracias RicardoElAbogado. Efectivamente tus sugerencias suenan perfectamente "legaleses", que es un idioma muy particular que no forzosamente viene automáticamente a la mente de la gente que no tiene esa vocación, así que me da mucho gusto que alguien que sí tiene esa vocación nos oriente. :D Muy amable.

Saludos

Breadstick

8. RicardoElAbogado Senior Member

SF Bay Area, California
    American English
    Ha sido un placer.