Lo tenía bastante crudo

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by nahamani, Mar 11, 2013.

1. nahamani New Member

English
    Seria alguien tan amable como para traducir a esa frase para mi? Viene del libro "Cell", autor Stephen King. Traducido por Debolsillo de original en Ingles a Espanol para la gente Espanola y Latina. La frase entera es: "Clay lo siguio con la mirada mientras salia de la cocina, pensando en que Tom le llevaba ventaja desde el prinicipio, pensando en lo bien que le caia, pensando en que le gustaria llegar a conocerlo mejor, pensando en que "lo tenia bastante crudo."

2. micafe

micafe Senior Member

United States
    Spanish - Colombia
    ¿Si tu idioma es inglés, por qué estás leyendo la versión en español de un libro escrito en inglés?? :confused::p

Las traducciones a vecen traen muchos errores y muchos localismos. Si puedes conseguir prestado o en la biblioteca una copia de ese libro inglés, podrás saber qué quiso decir el autor. ¿Vale?:)

3. cubaMania Senior Member

If you look up "crudo" in WR dictionary you will find this note, suggesting that "he would find that very difficult."
    And if you look up the English version of the novel Cell you will find this paragraph:

4. nahamani New Member

English
    That was very helpful, Thanks!

5. brifranc142 Senior Member

Indianapolis, IN, USA
    English - Midwestern United States
    I read English novels in Spanish all the time, just so you don't feel weird about that. I've read Harry Potter, all of A Song of Ice and Fire, and many others. It's a great way to pick up vocabulary because you sort of know how it goes and you can piece together unknown words more easily.

6. nahamani New Member

English
    That's very nice of you to say. I did feel very bad, having not thought to pick up an english copy as well, and feel better now, so thank you for taking the little extra time to be so kind and thoughtful.

7. micafe

micafe Senior Member

United States
    Spanish - Colombia
    Don't make me feel bad:eek:. I didn't mean to criticize Nahami. I know translations can be very bad sometimes. It totally depends on the translator. They are supposed to use a kind of "international Spanish" but some of them don't and use only localisms that even for us, native speakers, can be very difficult to read.

I know what I'm talking about because in Colombia it's very difficult to find books in the original language, only very specialized bookstores sell them, so when I lived there had to read them in Spanish. Some translators do a great job, some not so much.

I particularly remember "In Cold Blood" (A Sangre Fría) of Truman Capote. The translation I read -the only one at the time in the market- was done by some Spaniard and it was pathetic. There was a whole paragraph of which I only understood articles (el, la, los, las) and prepositions. :mad:

Saludos a los dos:p

8. brifranc142 Senior Member

Indianapolis, IN, USA
    English - Midwestern United States
    I didn't mean to make you feel bad or imply you didn't know what you were talking about. In case you're interested, the translations of A Song of Ice and Fire ("Game of Thrones" for the TV audience) are just excellent.

9. micafe

micafe Senior Member

United States
    Spanish - Colombia
    I know some translations are excellent. Thanks for the tip.. :) except I wouldn't know where to get it where I live.:p

10. nahamani New Member

English
    Sorry to make you feel bad. I liked what you had to say in your last email. I was just embarrased that I didn't think to get copies in both English AND Spanish. I live just outside of downtown Los Angeles and their Central Library has a nice collection of books in Spanish (and other foreign languages). I have since got copies of all the Stephen King books in Spanish that I want to read AND NOW in English as well. This has made my life much easier so I thank you. I only refer to the English copies when I can't find an adequate translation online. You're a blessing so thanks!

11. micafe

micafe Senior Member

United States
    Spanish - Colombia
    Ok nahamani, I'm glad I helped. That's a good way to learn vocabulary.. :p