1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

l'obtention d'un DESS dans l'université

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by legin1986, Feb 11, 2008.

1. legin1986 Senior Member

Ireland, English
    Salut, I'm trying to figure out a grammar exercise here and I'm particularl confused by the use of 'dans'. Does this sentence make sense:
    "Après un diplôme de pharmacie et l'obtention d'un DESS en droit de la santé dans l'université de Paris XI, son mariage avec un Montpelliérain va jouer le rôle de déclic."
    Wouldn't "de" or "à" work better?
    Merci à l'avance:)

2. giga2294

giga2294 Senior Member

Paris - France
    Français / France - Brittany
    I agree with you, i would prefer use 'de' (or 'à') instead of 'dans'.
    But i can't explain you why.
    I am not a french teacher; french is just my native language.
    ;-)

My proposal: 'de' and i remove also 'de' before 'Paris XI'
    "Après un diplôme de pharmacie et l'obtention d'un DESS en droit de la santé de l'université Paris XI, son mariage avec un Montpelliérain va jouer le rôle de déclic."

3. legin1986 Senior Member

Ireland, English
    OK, merci giga2294:)

4. Moon Palace

Moon Palace Senior Member

Lyon
    French
    I'm sorry but I beg to differ.
    'l'obtention d'un diplôme de l'université' does not make sense, or at least it has a different meaning: it would mean you have passed a degree from among those offered in this university, which would be real weird in French, much more than the translation makes it sound.
    You'd better say
    'l'obtention d'un DESS ... à l'université ... ' because the sentence is a shortcut for 'l'obtention ... a eu lieu à Paris'. It alludes to the place where the diploma was delivered.
    When you link a noun to another with de, you establish some dependence between the two, either through possession, or through some exclusive right.

"Le DESS de Paris XI" would put it in comparison with other DESS of other universities, as if to say this one was quite different from the others. What may make it different is the university's renown, not exactly the diploma itself.
    Hope it helps, and that you understand, the difference is quite tricky.

5. legin1986 Senior Member

Ireland, English
    Absolutely Moon Palace, I think your way would make the meaning clearer, but since it is a grammar exercise I can't fully manipulate the text:( is "dans l'université" grammatically wrong or is it just less preferable to "a' l'université"?

6. Moon Palace

Moon Palace Senior Member

Lyon
    French
    In fact, 'dans l'université' is not correct. You wouldn't say 'l'obtention de XXX dans l'université'. It does not make sense, because of course it is inside the university, not outside. So it is not the right preposition, it should be 'à'.

'dans la ville de Berlin' = 'à l'intérieur de la ville..'
    Hope it helps.

7. legin1986 Senior Member

Ireland, English
    I suspected as much. Ok, merci beaucoup:)