localidad, municipio o delegacion, entidad federativa

Discussion in 'Legal Terminology' started by Immigration Legal Aide, May 6, 2011.

1. Immigration Legal Aide New Member

English, Mexican Spanish
    Hi, I am translating a Mexican Birth certificate. I am having trouble figuring out the City and State for where this person was born.
    The Lugar de Nacimiento reads as follows: Localidad-Morelos, Municipo o Delegación-Venustiano Carranza, Entidad Federativa-Distrito Federal.
    If anyone can help me understand this I would greatly appreciate it. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2015
  2. c4wally New Member

California
    United States, English
    Localidad = place (town)
    Municipio = municipality
    Entidad Federativa = state

Distrito Federal is the equivalent of our Washington D.C.

3. Immigration Legal Aide New Member

English, Mexican Spanish
    Thank you so much this helps out a lot.

4. Maika

Maika Senior Member

Ciudad de México
    Mexico - Spanish
    Got here looking for some word. Just as an informative note, Distrito Federal is divided into 16 political "Delegaciones" under the government of DF. Venustiano Carranza is one of them. A "delegation" (sounds to me something like a borough) would be the equivalent to a municipality in the states of the Mexican Republic, but without the same attributions/powers as the municipality.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2015
  5. Azbent Senior Member

Spanish - Argentina

Then what would be the trasnlation for "delegación"?

6. JGCuadra Senior Member

Nicaragua
    Latinamerican Spanish
    Division perhaps?

7. Azbent Senior Member

Spanish - Argentina
    I found it as borough, seems to be approprite...
    1. a : a medieval fortified group of houses forming a town with special duties and privileges
    b : a town or urban constituency in Great Britain that sends a member to Parliament
    c : an urban area in Great Britain incorporated for purposes of self-government

a : a municipal corporation proper in some states (as New Jersey and Minnesota) corresponding to the incorporated town or village of the other states
    b : one of the five constituent political divisions of New York City

: a civil division of the state of Alaska corresponding to a county in most other states