"Look at the sky"

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by Iamanhippo, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Iamanhippo New Member

Français - French
    Hi everyone !

I would like to translate the sentence "Look at the sky".

I'm a beginner in Hebrew, so I'm not sure about the following translations I found, and what the differences are.

1) הַבֶּט הַשָּׁמַיְמָה
    2) image.png

(And what about : הסתכלו לשמיים ?!! I think it means Looks to the heavens ?:confused:)

Thank you for your answers ! :)

2. ystab Senior Member

Hebrew
    Hey there.

First of all, the translation in the image is with letters (not words) in reverse order - הסתכלו לשמיים (it is directed to second-person masculine-plural; look below). The heavens can also mean שמים, like sky. For example, in Ecclesiastes 3:1 - לכל זמן ועת לכל חפץ תחת השמים - To everything there is a season and a time for every purpose under the heavens.

As you may know, while in English there is only one second-person pronoun (you), in French there are two (singular - tu and plural/formal - vous) and in Hebrew there are four (masculine-singular - אתה, feminine-singular - את, masculine-plural - אתם and feminine-plural - אתן), each has a different form of verb conjugation.

Let's use the masculine-singular, and if you mean otherwise, please note that.
    הַבֵּט הַשָּׁמַיְמָה (without niqqud - הבט השמיימה) - is of high register. In high register there is also שָׂא עֵינֶיךָ לַשָּׁמַיִם (without niqqud - שא עיניך לשמיים) etc.
    Lower register - הַבֵּט לַשָּׁמַיִם (without niqqud - הבט לשמיים) or הִסְתַּכֵּל לַשָּׁמַיִם (without niqqud - הסתכל לשמיים) or הִסְתַּכֵּל עַל הַשָּׁמַיִם (without niqqud - הסתכל על השמיים).

3. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    These all work for "look towards the sky". If instead you meant "look at the sky" in an informal sense such as "look how stormy/red it is", I think you could say הנה השמים hineh hashamayim.

4. Iamanhippo New Member

Français - French
    Thanks for your help !!! :thumbsup:

5. anipo

anipo Senior Member

Israel
    Spanish (Arg)- German
    Sorry, but no. הנה השמיים means "here is the sky".

6. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    Ah ok, so hineh ani means "here I am" rather than something along the lines of "look, it's me"? I suppose there is a slight difference in meaning after all.

7. anipo

anipo Senior Member

Israel
    Spanish (Arg)- German
    Yes, הנני or הנה אני means, as you said "here I am". It has nothing to do with "look".